[Englecturers] Update and Lecturer Representative ELECTION

Lash Keith Vance lashv at ucr.edu
Thu Jun 5 12:35:48 PDT 2008

  Greetings All,

  Well, the year is winding down, and I thought I
  would provide a short summary of what has been
  happening on the Lecturer Rep front.

  UWP Committee on Writing Courses (COWC)

  As most of you know, the new COWC has been
  meeting in May and June to review job files for the
  coming year.  These files are all pre-six lecturers
  or new applicants applying for courses in the new
  University Writing Program, not those going up for
  post-six review (these were taken care of back in
  March).

  I know there has been concern about the transition
  to the new UWP and how it will affect lecturers.
  Because the transition took place so late, the new
  UWP COWC has only had a chance to meet to discuss
  the file review process, which is now holistic.
  Also, the coming year will prove to be interesting
  as more substantive issues arise for the committee
  to consider, for the committee has not had a chance
  to tackle any other task yet besides the review
  process.  The lecturer role in this committee will
  become increasingly important as changes to the
  program are proposed, and we do have three votes.

  Website Design Team

  Gray Scott, John Stamp, and I have helped to design
  the initial UWP website with input from many other
  people.  The site should be up in the next few weeks
  for everyone to peruse.  The new UWP website is not
  in its final version, and there will be an
  opportunity for anyone to voice any issues or make
  suggestions for elements to include.

  Lecturer Representative Election

  Nomination Process: Well, my two-year term is up
  now, so it is time for an election.  I promise that
  it won't be dragged out as long as the Democratic
  race!  So, please send me your nomination via email,
  or if you feel more comfortable, you can drop it off
  in my mailbox (Vance) in the English Department by
  MONDAY, June 9th at NOON.  The sooner you nominate a
  person, the better it will be.  I'll try to contact
  them to see if they are, in fact, interested in
  running.

  Ballot Process: I'll complete a ballot form and put
  it in your box as soon as possible, hopefully Monday
  afternoon of June 9th.  Please complete your ballot
  and drop it off with Cheryl Bruseualas in HMNSS
  1103F before Friday, June 13th at 5:00 PM.  If she
  is not there, you can slide it under her door, and
  she will collect it for us.

  Julie Brett and I will then take a look at the votes
  and announce the result.

  Take care everyone,

  Keith Vance

Lash Keith Vance, Ph.D., MEd
Director of Computer-Assisted Instruction
University Writing Program
University of California, Riverside

Office: 1103C HMNSS
Email : lashv at ucr.edu