[Englecturers] Thinking about Next Year for the Writing Program

John Briggs jcbriggs at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 18 17:46:55 PST 2008

Writing Program Instructors:

      A number of people have asked me about plans for the University
Writing Program in the coming year.  I'm writing to provide an
updated view of what I see ahead, especially in terms of enrollment
and prospects for employment.

      I am optimistic about the coming year.  It is important to know
that the latest estimate of UCR enrollment for fall, 2008, predicts a
slight increase.  New freshman enrollment, which is the crucial
indicator of writing program enrollment, is projected to be slightly
higher than in fall of 2007.  Although a fee increase might affect
some students' decisions to come to a UC campus, the large number of
applicants this year means that the chance of a drop in enrollment
has diminished considerably.  (If I sound here like the chairman of
the Federal Reserve Board, I'm not running for the position.)
.
      The UWP has been given good space in HMNSS.  Architectural
modifications to accommodate new administrative offices in HMNSS 1003
will begin in a few weeks.  Instructional space in HMNSS 1002 and
1001 for workshops, tutorials, and some instructional offices will be
reconfigured in time for fall classes.  HMNSS 1102 and 1103 will
continue to be used for the ELWR program and other UWP
activities.  The decision to house the UWP in HMNSS is very good for
the program and the campus since it keeps the program accessible to
students and to instructors' offices.

      For the first time in a decade, we have funding for a writing
center.  We have hired two TAs (Connie Chow in History and Kevin Sitz
in Political Science) to begin meeting with students. The center's
campuswide work will proceed incrementally, focusing on workshops and
tutorials for a limited number of writing-intensive courses (not
composition courses) across the curriculum.  Campuswide tutoring will
come later.  The Learning Center, with its trained undergraduate
tutors in the Surge Building, will continue to provide
assistance.  Over time, the goal of the new writing center will be to
assist faculty who wish to make their courses more
writing-intensive.  In future years, some of those courses might be
considered, if the Senate approves of the idea, as alternatives for English 1C.
(The idea about 1C alternatives is my own preference.  It is not yet
Senate policy.)

      The new Lecturer contract, which sets the full-time load at
eight courses per year, will create a need for more instructors.  At
least some of that need will be met by the hiring of TAs from other
departments -- a priority I believe is crucial to the future
prosperity of the entire program.  At the same time, the size and
complexity of the overall program, the staffing effects of the new
Lecturer contract, and the likelihood of higher enrollment, will call
for continuing dependence upon the expertise of TAs and Lecturers
already teaching in the program.  Once again this year we will be
looking, as we have for many years, for new Lecturer applicants to
join the pool so that we are sure we can compensate for growth and
attrition.

      To ensure stability, personnel reviews involving Lecturers will
take place again this year in the English Department's Committee on
Writing Courses, chaired by John Ganim.  Hiring responsibilties for
next fall will be my responsibility, this spring and summer, as head
of the University Writing Program..

      My interim appointment is for the current academic year.  When
the time comes for another search (sooner or later this year), I plan
to apply for the permanent position.  I believe that the changes I
have described will ensure stability in the University Writing
Program for 2008-2009, whoever is the next director.

      Thank you for all that you do that makes the UCR program one of
the best there is.

John Briggs

here are some imponderables, of course.