[Englecturers] WOW! Thanks for the advice, folks!

Benedict Jones bkjones at san.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 23:45:52 PST 2008

You've all given me so many great film titles--I'll be putting a bunch
of these movies on my list of recommendations. I haven't seen all of
these movies, but some I know by reputation, so I can add them to the
list without having seen them. Then I can rent several in the coming
weeks while my students are writing their papers.

Jack, thanks for the attachment. I'm always hesitant to make big changes
to assignments that have worked in the past, but your paper assignment
has given me a few ideas, and I'm always happy to see that someone else
is using an assignment that has affinities with mine. I was hoping to
use my assignment not only as an evaluation essay but also as a way to,
er, force my students to use a specialized reference book of some kind
to define or clarify the issue that they'll be writing about. Have you
ever done this? There are lots of great encyclopedias in the reference
stacks on bioethics, human rights, all sorts of things. I'm hoping that
requiring the use of a specialized tertiary source will encourage my
students to use such sources as a starting point when they get to the
big research paper. (A vain hope, I suppose.)

Now I know where to go for suggestions when I start putting together the
Speculating about Causes paper. I haven't assigned that type of essay in
a few years, so I'll be starting all over, from the ground up. Be
looking for another pathetic plea in the coming weeks...after I get a
chance to glean ideas from the 1B binder in the copy room.

Okay, I have to get back to work. I'm a bit behind tonight.

Thanks again, to all of you.

Benedict