[Englecturers] fall teaching schedule out yet?

Benedict Jones bkjones at san.rr.com
Wed Sep 12 12:58:39 PDT 2007

Hi, everybody. I was wondering whether the fall schedule had been posted
to the lecturers' list serv--I'm still on the grad list serv, and people
there are talking as though they already have their official teaching
assignments. I haven't received the schedule, and I have checked all of
my e-mail addresses just in case.

And while I'm here, I thought I'd ask a question about how y'all handle
peer reviews in 1ABC. I'm revamping my system and could use some
pointers. For example, do you have a good way of getting students to
take peer reviews seriously? I had good results last year, but maybe I
just got lucky. I'd like some better safeguards in place. I've thought
about having students write journal entries or a reflective essay on the
revision/peer review process. Has anyone had success with this type of
exercise?

Also, do you actually grade peer reviews or just give everyone some
points, regardless of how detailed the PRs are? I hate to give full
points to students who just make a token effort, but I don't see a good
way of grading each peer review without giving myself more work at the
very time when I have papers to grade and want as little extra work as
possible!

If you have a particularly good peer review system, I would love to hear
from you on or off the list serv.

Thanks,
Benedict Jones