[Englecturers] Academic dishonesty question--is this considered "fabrication"?

Gray Scott gray at scotts.net
Mon Nov 5 19:43:04 PST 2007

Benedict,

Yeah, it's academic dishonesty -- and it's covered by the student conduct codes.

Here's the official UCR definition on "fabrication," which is listed as one of the student conduct sins:
FABRICATION. Examples include:

· falsifying the results of any laboratory or experimental work or fabricating any data or information

· crediting source material that was not used for research

· falsifying, altering, or misstating the contents of documents or other materials related to academic matters, including but not limited to, schedules, prerequisites, transcripts, attendance records, or University forms

· giving false reasons (in advance or after the fact) for failure to complete academic work

· giving false information or testimony in connection with any investigation or hearing under this policy

(Source: http://senate.ucr.edu/agenda/041116/CEP_STUDENT_INTEGRITY_DEFINITIONS.pdf -- and please excuse me for not using MLA citation format here. I'm in a hurry and assuming a forgiving audience.)

I've had this sort of thing before, too. In fact, it happens a lot more than we think. If you haul off all of your papers to the library and start checking sources -- a time-consuming but eye-opening process -- you discover that something like a third of your students are citing one source but getting all of their information from another. Frequently, they've never even seen the book or article they're citing. Sad, but true.

My favorite example of this is from a student of mine a year or two ago who wrote a concept essay about chaos theory. He cited a book titled The Butterfly Effect by, if I recall correctly, Susan Hawthorne. When I tried to look up the book, I found out that not only had it been in binding for a month, but that it is not a science book at all. It is a book of lesbian poetry. The student grabbed all of his information from a science blog, looked up "butterfly effect" in SCOTTY, found Hawthorne's book, and just plugged in her text as the reference for his Web-sourced information.

At any rate, you're not alone on that sort of thing. Have fun!

- Gray