[Englecturers] Director of the University Writing Program

Susan Brown susan.brown at ucr.edu
Thu May 3 11:30:40 PDT 2007

Director of the University Writing Program

The campus visit for Gerald and Cathy Graff has been rescheduled to
Tuesday, May 8th. Their talk will be held in the English department
conference room HMNSS 2212 from 2:00-4:00pm.

Writing Program Director Candidate Vision Presentation
Professors Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein-Graff

Tuesday, May 8th - 2:00p
Humanities 2212

Gerald and Cathy Graff, finalists for our Writing Director position,
will be on campus Tuesday, May 8th.  I cannot emphasize enough how
important an event this is for the campus and how great for the Writing
Program.

I would like to urge colleagues across campus to attend the talk that
takes place at 2:00p in the English Department conference room
(Humanities 2212).  There will be plenty of time to ask questions and
air your concerns.

Professor Gerald Graff received his PhD in English and American
Literature from Stanford University in 1963.  He was recently appointed
Co-Director with Cathy Birkenstein-Graff of Writing in the Disciplines
Program, College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Illinois at
Chicago.  He previously chaired the English department at Northwestern
University, directed the Northwestern University Press and designed and
directed the Master of Arts Program in the Humanities at the University
of Chicago.  Professor Graff's many publications on teaching and
learning have gained national and international recognition, and in 2008
he will become President of the Modern Language Association.

Professor Cathy Birkenstein-Graff received her PhD from Loyola
University in Chicago in 2003.  She is a co-writer with Gerald Graff of
a textbook entitled, They Say/I Say and currently lectures in English
teaching Freshman Composition courses based on this textbook.  Professor
Birkenstein-Graff was recently appointed Co-Director with Gerald Graff
of Writing in the Disciplines Program, College of Arts & Sciences at the
University of Illinois at Chicago.

This is a great opportunity for the campus and I hope colleagues can
come out in force to support this amazing opportunity for the Writing
Program and for the university.

George Haggerty, Chair
Writing Program Director Search

Susan Brown