[Englecturers] The Sleeper has Awaken

Matthew Snyder mattysny at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 24 17:08:06 PDT 2007

Hello English Department People and Other Sadistes de le Mot,

It comes with much joy and little personal cost that I announce the birth of
my first child, Sakura Charlene Snyder.  Since the Globalized Age of hybrid
cars that are made both in Japan and the US are wholly upon us, we have
struck a middle ground of sorts with Japanese-y first name (Sakura
translates in Japanese to mean cherry blossom) and a last name that is
firmly entrusted in the vocabulary of Americana (i.e. Snyder Bread).  Unlike
my wife, I had the fortunate opportunity to watch the violence ensue with
little or no personal discomfort.  At some point I expected a flying saucer
to come down through the roof and transport us to an alien rave-party with
plastic punch cups and a slip'n'slide machine spouting soap bubbles.  So
much changed in one moment.  Like a nearby piece of used furniture, I
watched my wife blankly reduced to tears and a slack jaw as Tomoko spent 9
hours ejecting 10 percent of her body weight.  The birth was neither
beautiful (Magical!) or ugly (Oy!), but it was somewhere above and beyond
those common descriptions of the birthing process.  It was beyond all codes,
symbols and vernaculars.  I thought to myself that humans are nothing more
than a series of Russian Dolls connected by the cosmic length of one endless
umbilical cord.  Each navel promises the potential for another life
underneath.  Echoes under milky shadows.

Weighing in at fiesty and small, toothless and tenacious 6 pounds and 2
ounces, my daughter was born on the immaculately well-timed date of Father's
Day (6-17-2007).  She is on the national narcotic known as breast milk and
spends most of her time in a heavy spin rotation of poop, sleep, suck, poop,
sleep and so on and so forth.

Because both of our families live thousands of miles away, we have all of
your support to thank in providing us with your warmth, humor and advice.
Several friends went out of their way to feed us and visit Sakura as she
copes with the miracle and horror of a newfangled world.

The Japanese Burrito has been unwrapped!

With Transpacific Warmth,

Matthew Snyder
Tomoko Inoue Snyder

Ph.D. Candidate (A.B.D.-All But Destroyed)
Stressed-out Mother
Department of English
      with Pick Axe
University of California-Riverside
(951) 276-0846

Additional Photos Can Be Found on the Following Website:

http://www.myspace.com/closingknives

Picture this – share your photos and you could win big!
http://www.GETREALPhotoContest.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us