[Englecturers] PAMLA CFP

svonkco at netzero.net svonkco at netzero.net
Thu Jan 18 11:45:28 PST 2007

Dear UCR Graduate Students and Lecturers,

I just received word that my proposed session for the PAMLA conference,
which is scheduled for November up at Western Washington University in
Bellingham, WA, has been approved, and I wanted to post the cfp, in
case anyone is interested in sending a paper proposal my way.  Thanks,
 Craig Svonkin

“American Poets Writing for / Writing about Children”

Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association Conference, November
2007, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA (one hour north of
Seattle)

Paper proposals are sought for an approved special session at PAMLA’s
2007 annual conference.

Many of the “confessional” poets of the 1950s and 1960s, including
Randall Jarrell, Robert Lowell, Sylvia Plath, and Anne Sexton, wrote
extensively about childhood; interestingly, many of these same poets
also wrote literature aimed directly at child readers.  Today, many
American poets continue to explore childhood using these two
genres—“adult” writing about childhood and “children’s” literature.  In
this panel, we will look at American poets of the twentieth century who
write about childhood and their own childhood memories, experiences,
and traumas, but who also write specifically for children, exploring
how these two seemingly separate genres interact and comment on one
another.  Papers on contemporary American poets writing in these two
genres are especially welcome.

Please send an abstract of approximately 500 words and a brief
one-paragraph biography to Craig Svonkin by March 15: svonkco at netzero.com

All presenters accepted to the panel must become members of PAMLA.
Membership information is available at www.pamla.org