[Englecturers] plagiarist student, phase two

Benedict Jones bkjones at san.rr.com
Wed Jan 17 17:42:41 PST 2007

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plagiarism dilemma. I also spoke
to someone at Student Judicial Affairs, and I did some soul searching. I
decided that if the student admits to cheating, I will drop her overall
course grade by one letter grade and send her plagiarized assignment on
to SJA. Even if the student drops the class to avoid grade consequences,
she will still be faced with SJA.

That was yesterday. Now I have the first draft that forms the basis of
the first formal paper, and part of it is plagiarized. Not much, but
this is a clear pattern of cheating. I haven't even had a chance to meet
with the student about the early offense yet.

It is possible that the student has been doing this for years in the
belief that it is acceptable. She may see it as a winning strategy. But
there are other warning signs that bother me. For instance, regardless
of format, the first assignment that she plagiarized didn't even meet
the assignment's content requirements. The paper that I received
yesterday doesn't either. First of all, it's supposed to be an argument
essay, but it's an expository essay. Her opinion peers around the
corner, shyly, on maybe two occasions; it was so subtle that I nearly
missed it. There's no thesis statement (she's supposed to underline it),
there's no real argument, and there's no conclusion. She's supposed to
argue only one side of the issue (for this assignment--she'll
counterargue later), but the paper she gave me covers both sides of the
issue in direct defiance of my explicit instructions. Worst of all, she
swiped stuff from Wikipedia. It's not a lot, but the paper is very
short. She swiped about a paragraph's worth, and the paper is all of six
paragraphs long. Some she steals (quotes without quotation marks or
attribution), and some is slightly altered, without attribution. All
no-nos. But I should add that I expressly prohibited Internet sources
for this assignment.

The assigned reading for last week from the SMG clearly states that
paraphrasing must be attributed. My syllabus says that you can't pass
off someone else's words as your own. We've only started to touch on
this in class, and I don't intend to crucify people for sloppy
paraphrasing. But she clearly quoted without quotation marks or
attribution, and she "borrowed" an Internet source when she was told not
to use Internet sources at all. On two occasions, she has tried to pass
off someone else's work as her own. She doesn't do her own work.

I know what I have to do, and I'm going to do it. But back when this was
"only" a plagiarized homework, y'all gave me some good
middle-of-the-road solutions, and I thank you for it. I'll be better
prepared the next time a "minor" plagiarism event happens.

Benedict (not having a good week)