[Englecturers] anyone recognize this essay from 1A?

Benedict Jones bkjones at san.rr.com
Sun Feb 25 17:17:50 PST 2007

Hi, all.

I'm having my 1B students justify an evaluation this week, and one of
the papers (so far--there could be others) reads like a straight profile
paper. I'm not sure it's ethical to spray the student's name all over
the listservs, so I won't say who it is.

I'm thinking that perhaps the student is simply recycling a paper from
fall term. Does anyone recognize a profile called "The Hidden Oasis"
about a little gallery/coffeehouse called Veronese? I'm assuming that
the place is in Riverside, but I've never heard of it.

This is likely the last time that I will allow students to evaluate a
restaurant; I always seem to get a few papers like this that look like
1A papers warmed over, and I'm starting to remember how irritating it is
to get such papers.

If nobody recognizes the paper, that's fine--it will not earn a stellar
grade anyway because it doesn't fully meet the assignment requirements.

You can reply to me personally or to the listserv (I'm on both the grad
and lecturer listservs at the moment because I still haven't finished my
diss. See, there ARE advantages to not being done yet.)

Thanks for reading,
Benedict Jones