[Englecturers] FYI: Conference call for papers--from one of our Ph. D.'s

Steven Axelrod steven.axelrod at ucr.edu
Tue Apr 3 13:23:42 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Patton, Venetria K [mailto:vpatton at purdue.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 7:16 AM
To: CLA - CLA - Faculty; ceh at udel.edu; cboyced at fiu.edu; mkalisa2 at unl.edu;
Cicely Cobb; Courtney Thompson; csande at ku.edu; dem8z at Virginia.EDU;
emory.elliott at ucr.edu; eyoungmi at olemiss.edu; Gil C. Cook; ENGL Grad
Students; Harry Elam; Heidi R. Freeman; j-brody at northwestern.edu;
young at hope.edu; jstover at fau.edu; JUDSON JEFFRIES; Karen Salt;
kkinney at citrus.ucr.edu; kdparker at uga.edu; kconnorsdouglas at hotmail.com;
DrKNettles at aol.com; kdreher2 at unlnotes.unl.edu; ljohnson at mail.colgate.edu;
Lisa Long; Kualapai, Lydia K; maleapowell at yahoo.com; martinjaptok at yahoo.com;
MHONEY1 at UNL.EDU; mstewart at msjc.edu; Nadege Veldwachter;
psteven1 at bigred.unl.edu; Patrick O'Donnell; pbhinds at hotmail.com;
sampson_choma at hotmail.com; sgrayson at uwm.edu; alexandy at mit.edu;
seanna_o at hotmail.com; Sharon P. Holland; Stephany Rose Spaulding;
sterling.stuckey at ucr.edu; steven.axelrod at ucr.edu; steven.moore at acu.edu;
sbelasco at unlnotes.unl.edu; tjohnson at jcsu.edu; laket at wabash.edu;
tcalhoun at siu.edu; vgrim at indiana.edu; tuckerv at gvsu.edu
Subject: Conference call for papers--please forward

Announcing the 23rd Annual Symposium on

African American Culture & Philosophy

Held in conjunction with the

Annual Meeting of the Alain L. Locke Society

Harlem Renaissance: Aesthetics, Values, and Identity

 Keynote Speaker: Dr. Arnold Rampersad

Stewart Center . Purdue University . West Lafayette, Indiana 47906

November 1-3, 2007

We are seeking individual papers and panel submissions on topics related to
the Harlem Renaissance.  We particularly welcome complete panel submissions
with discussants.  We also encourage alternative formats such as
roundtables, performances, and "author meets critics" discussions of new
scholarship in Harlem Renaissance Studies.  Possible topics include, but are
not limited to the following:

*     Anthologizing the Harlem Renaissance

*     Sites and Sounds of Harlem

*     Intersections between the Harlem Renaissance and the Chicago
Renaissance

*     The Role of Community Institutions during the Harlem Renaissance

*     The Politics of Identity vs the Politics of Class

*     Gender/Sexualities and the Harlem Renaissance

*     Questions of Patronage and Ownership of the Cultural Voice

*     The Aftermath/legacy of the Harlem Renaissance

In addition to papers on various aspects of the Harlem Renaissance, we seek
papers and panels focused on Alain Locke.  Possible topics include, but are
not limited to the following:

*     Value Theory

*     Reconciliation, Respect, and Tolerance

*     Reciprocity and Cosmopolitanism

*      Aesthetics: Literature, Art, and Sculpture

Individual abstracts should be 250 words or less and panel abstracts should
be 750 words or less.  Abstracts should be submitted by Tuesday, May 1st,
2006.  Please include institutional and e-mail addresses for all
participants.

Send Harlem Renaissance Submissions to:     Send Alain L. Locke Society
Submissions to:

AASRC 23rd Annual Symposium                         Arnold Farr

Beering Hall, Room 6182                                     St. Joseph's
University

100 North University Street                                  Department of
Philosophy . 5600 City Avenue

West Lafayette, IN 47907                                    Philadelphia, PA
19131

aasrc at purdue.edu
<mailto:farr at mailhost.sju.edu> farr at mailhost.sju.edu

(If sending by electronic mail, please use               (If sending by
electronic mail, please use
Symposium Abstract" as the subject line)              "Locke Abstract" as
the subject line)

For additional information about the Center           For additional
information about the Alain

visit our website at:                                              Leroy
Locke Society visit our website at:

http://www.cla.purdue.edu/a
<http://www.cla.purdue.edu/academic/idis/african-american/>
cademic/idis/african-american/       <http://www.alainlocke.com/>