[Englecturers] My Post about Teaching in Korea

John Briggs jcbriggs at ucr.edu
Mon Jun 12 12:27:00 PDT 2006

Lecturers and Graduate Students:

      Yesterday I forwarded a post about summer teaching in Korea.  I
received the original message through the UCR system, which separates
obvious spam from other messages.  This one passed, though we all know the
UCR system is not faultless. l assumed that the message had been forwarded
through one of the educational list-serves that occasionally send me
notices about jobs.  The offer looked interesting, and the writer offered
several sorts of identification.  I have since heard from two of you that
the person who sent the message, Mr. Youn, is conducting interviews in
Murrieta.  I have heard that he shows people a flyer but is not giving
interviewees written information about the position(s) and is not talking
about a written contract, at least not at this point.  There is also the
impression that he is in a hurry to make appointments very rapidly, and is
pressing people to decide within a day of meeting him.

      I am writing to say I have no additional  information about this
offer.  I wish I could tell you it is legitimate but I cannot.  I would be
very careful about any offer that is not accompanied by written information
that can be taken away from the interview.  I would not advise anyone to go
to Korea without a contract.

John Briggs