[Englecturers] Van to Irvine for Lecture by Paul Strohm

John Ganim john.ganim at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 31 11:23:31 PST 2006

Paul Strohm, probably the most influential figure in medieval English
literary study, is speaking at UC Irvine on Monday February 6. His
schedule is too tight to come out to Riverside, but he, and Elizabeth
Allen, of Irvine, have graciously invited us to go there. I have
rented a van to leave for UCI at the flagpole in the front of
Hinderaker turnaround at 2:00 PM. So far, I have the following people
signed up. Please let me know if you wish to join us:

John Ganim
Nadia Guth
Leona Fisher
Joanna Scott
Wallace Cleaves

Best,

JMG

>Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:54:32 -0800
>From: Elizabeth Allen <eallen at uci.edu>
>To: humfaculty at uci.edu, much-ado at uci.edu
>Cc: llee at media.ucla.edu, john.ganim at ucr.edu
>
>The Series in Medieval Studies presents
>
>PROFESSOR PAUL STROHM
>William B. Ransford Professor of Medieval Literature
>Columbia University
>
>"MORE'S CONSCIENCE"
>
>4:00 PM
>Monday, February 6, 2006
>135 Humanities Instructional Building
>
>Free and open to the public
>
>Sponsored by the International Center for Writing and Translation,
>the Department of English,
>the Humanities Center, and the Humanities Dean
>
>Paul Strohm joined the Columbia faculty in fall 2003, and was
>formerly J.R.R. Tolkien Professor of English Language and Literature
>at the University of Oxford. His area of principal interest is
>medieval literature with a recent emphasis on transitions from
>'medieval' to 'early modern.' His teaching and research have
>concerned the 'affiliated text,' with special attention to
>textuality and history and to genre and social change. Publications
>include: Social Chaucer (Harvard, 1989, 1994); Hochon's Arrow: The
>Social Imagination of Fourteenth-Century Texts (Princeton, 1992);
>England's Empty Throne: Usurpation and Textual Legitimation,
>1399-1422 (Yale UK, 1998); Theory and the Premodern Text (Minnesota,
>2000); Politique: Languages of Statecraft Between Chaucer and
>Shakespeare (Notre Dame, 2005).

John M. Ganim
Professor of English
Department of English