[Englecturers] FW: Teaching the Novel (5/1/06; collection)

Steven Axelrod steven.axelrod at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 16 17:32:10 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-cfp at lists.sas.upenn.edu [mailto:owner-cfp at lists.sas.upenn.edu]
On Behalf Of Colin Irvine
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 1:24 PM
To: cfp at english.upenn.edu
Subject: CFP: Teaching the Novel (5/1/06; collection)

Submissions are invited for a collection of critical essays tentatively
titled "Teaching the Novel in the (English) Major and Across the
Curriculum." Submissions by emergent as well as established scholars are
welcome. (An editor at one of the leading educational presses has shown
strong interest in the project.) <>As it stands, the collection will be
broken into five chapters, or sections: 1) English, 2) Humanities, 3)
Natural Sciences and Mathematics, 4) Social and Behavioral Sciences and,
5) Professional Studies.

Overview/rationale: Professors in many departments across the curriculum
are increasingly weaving the genre of the novel into their courses;
consequently, we're seeing novels appearing in everything from
humanities courses (English, philosophy, religion, etc.) to classes in
the social and behavioral sciences (economics, sociology, political
science, psychology, etc.). This temptation and corresponding tendency
to assign what often prove to be unwieldy, resistant and yet rewarding
texts to teach leads to a number of related questions, some or all of
which you may choose to address in your essay:

* Why do we (in our respective disciplines) elect to teach novels?
* How do we teach them?
* What, exactly, do we have our students do with them?
* Which novels (and which teaching techniques associated with those
texts) cultivate the ways of knowing germane to understanding issues and
problems in our disciplines? Which historical novels, for instance, help
students better comprehend an era, event, or issue, and which novels enable
them to begin to appreciate historiography and historical inquiry? Or, as
another example from another discipline, which novels (and which teaching
techniques associated with those texts) facilitate and cultivate the type of
perception necessary to appreciate what ecologist Aldo Leopold described as
the "land ethic"?
* How do novels help us as instructors achieve our objectives and goals in
our various courses and related disciplines?
* How can we make reading these works a truly novel, eventful, and relevant
experience for our students?

The purpose of this collection is to share with others in and outside of
our disciplines why and how we incorporate novels into our courses.
Thus, I am seeking a blend of conceptual and applicable/pedagogical
essays that speak directly and/or indirectly to the above questions from
various points of view/disciplines.

Paper abstracts (about 500 words) must be submitted by *May 1, 2006*. Should
your abstract be accepted, your essay must be completed by *July
1, 2006*.
Completed essays should be between 4,000-7,000 words including endnotes. The
essay must follow the MLA style guidelines.

Please send inquiries and submissions (preferably electronically in MS
word format) to Colin Irvine at irvinec at augsburg.edu
<mailto:irvinec at augsburg.edu>.

Colin Irvine, Ph.D.
Augsburg College