[Englecturers] Information about English 1ABC

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Wed Sep 21 13:43:33 PDT 2005

Friends,

The summer seems to have come to a dramatic end with "a flash of
lightning. Then a damp gust / Bringing rain." I hope this will be a
productive year for all of you and I am looking forward to seeing you
during Orientation next week.

You should have received an email with the Fall 2005 Orientation
Schedule. You may have noticed that this year, the General
Informational Session (Tuesday, Sept. 27, 1:00-3:00, 1501 HMNSS) is
followed by a Panel Discussion on Best Practices in Comp Teaching.
Actually, we hope that all of you (Lecturers and TAs) will plan to give
a 5 minute presentation of one of your many best practices. Some of the
topics you might consider addressing are how you organize collaborative
groups, how you use reading questions, how you use the St. Martin's
Guide Invention questions as in-class writing and discussion
activities, how you develop reading quizzes, how you deal with
sentence-level problems, how you manage the paper load, or how you
integrate the single-author text into your course. This is the only
opportunity during the year that we all get to be in the same place at
the same time, so John and I want to make this occasion a celebration
of your creativity and professionalism.

To help us continue sharing best practices, we now have a wiki page (a
Web site where anyone can add or edit documents) called UCRComposition.
Thanks to Gray Scott's, we have put up some basic documents such as the
Fall Orientation Schedule, the English 1ABC book lists and
descriptions, Links to Student Judicial Affairs for reporting
plagiarism, and some boilerplate language you might want to adapt for
your syllabus. The wiki is located at
http://ucrcomposition.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=FrontPage. The password
for entry is "rivera" (as in our library). I hope you will find this
Web site useful and that you will contribute to it. Please post things
like sample syllabi, quizzes, assignments, reading questions, and other
materials you have developed for your courses. It is so easy to cut and
paste or upload documents that even I can do it.

Enjoy the remaining moments of summer,
Rise

Rise B. Axelrod
Professor and Director of Composition