[Englecturers] FW: The English Record - Gender in the Classroom (12/20/06; journal issue)

Steven Axelrod steven.axelrod at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 30 17:11:24 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-cfp at lists.sas.upenn.edu [mailto:owner-cfp at lists.sas.upenn.edu]
On Behalf Of J. Roy
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 1:47 PM
To: cfp at english.upenn.edu
Subject: CFP: The English Record - Gender in the Classroom (12/20/06;
journal issue)

Winter 2006: Deadline for submissions 12/20/06

Gender in the Classroom

The ever changing dynamics of gender roles in our society must certainly =
be reflected in not only the ways our students approach literature, but =
also in the ways genders are represented in modern literature and the =
manner in which educators plan their presentations.  As times have =
changed, how can teachers help students to understand women such as Lady =
Macbeth or Blanche, from A Streetcar Named Desire?  Are women authors =
represented and valued as integral parts of our curricula?  Consider the =
challenges in teaching a novel dominated by male characters to a mixed =
gender classroom.  How do we ensure that all students are involved and =
feel included in the exploration of such a text?  What are effective = ways
of introducing and exploring literature centered around or told = from the
point of view of a female character?  What happens when such a = book is
presented to an entirely male class?  In addition to tackling = the gender
issues within literature and in presenting gender specific = texts, what
role does gender play in the classroom?  Do boys and girls = respond
differently to texts? to teachers? to each other?  Please share =
experiences, techniques, effective lesson plans, and research on related =
subjects. =20

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Please send a digital copy of your article in Microsoft Word via email =
to: jennifer.roy at wappingersschools.org.  Please submit a short biography =
including your name, school and grade(s) taught, home and work telephone =
numbers and email address.  Articles submitted for consideration must =
conform to the new MLA Handbook.

                         Full Information at
                     http://cfp.english.upenn.edu
         or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj at english.upenn.edu