[Englecturers] UPTE Strike and Subject A Grading

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Fri May 20 11:48:24 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

As lecturer representative for the English Department, I thought I should tell you that UPTE is going on strike starting Thursday, 26 May.

This could cause some trouble for you if you are not holding classes Thursday or Friday because you are attending the Subject A Reading during May 26-29.

You will remember that during other times of labor unrest the UC has checked to see that we were teaching our classes.  It is possible that you will be sent a letter demanding that you account for your absence during this strike.

Don't panic.  Since this grading is essential to the writing programs at UCR, and since you have likely already made appropriate arrangements with your classes, you should just explain these things to anyone who brings up the situation.

I'm not anticipating trouble, but it's nice to think about issues beforehand.

Also, tell your friends to get their applications for teaching next year in to the English Dept. soon.

Benjamin Harder