[Englecturers] Student essays for publication in The St. Martin's Guide

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Fri May 13 09:13:09 PDT 2005

English 1A and 1B instructors:

Thanks so much for all those fantastic student essays. I've submitted
them for the new edition of The St. Martin's Guide to Writing as well
as the collection of student essays, Sticks and Stones. But we are
still looking for more student essays -- especially various kinds of
argument. Please stay on the lookout this quarter for essays we might
be able to use.

Please don't hesitate to give me essays for assignments that vary from
the Guide (for example, essays that combine genres or that analyze a
concept in a single-author text).

Furthermore, if you are teaching at another campus where you are using
assignments from the Guide or Reading Critically, Writing Well, I'd
love to see those student essays. In fact, we can only publish a
certain number of essays from a single campus, so essays from other
campuses are especially welcome.

I would be happy to receive electronic or hard copies, whichever is
most convenient for you. As before, if it is easier for you to forward
to me all the essays you have collected on Blackboard, that would be
fantastic. The more essays, the better.

The only thing I need in addition to the essay is the writer's name so
that I can ask the student for permission to publish the essay if it is
selected. That way, you don't have to bother with permission forms.

Please try to get me the essays by the end of finals week.  Thank you
in advance for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Sincerely,
Rise