[Englecturers] Results of yesterday's meeting

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Thu May 5 12:50:12 PDT 2005

Howdy y'all,

Since I cannot figure out a way to respond to Gray's comments directly, here
is my two cents for the
entire listserv to see.

I think that there is still power in Twilight for 1B (I and at least three
other instructors I know who are
not inclined to partake in this discussion) still use it with great success.
Personally, I use the play to
create a dialogue (written) that encourages students to establish criteria for
evaluating
different forms of civil protest. They also read Thoreau, King, and more
militant writings (Turner Diaries
excerpt, Ruby Ridge info, McVeigh) and eventually end up using the voices of
Twilight to support or
contrast their opinions. Definitely a keeper for me.

I think TextBook should go (although it has a wonderful section on Figurative
Language) mostly
because it uses wordplay that is too theoretical for most 1C students (and as
I see it, a huge waste of
time trying to explain to the students). The title is a tip-off to what I
mean. Perhaps it is useful for
students
interested in communication or literature or languages, but for the majority
of 1C students, the book
has little value. They know it, I know it, and we don't pretend differently.

With this said, I still dislike the entire idea of teaching semiotics as a
focus for 1C. Our students are
very well versed in interpreting icons and symbols of our culture: they have
been doing it most,if not
all, of their lives. We can only expand the awareness so far.

I agree with the choice of Rereading America as an option. The power of this
reader is in its multiple
perspectives of American cultural myths that, to our students (at least in the
years I have used the text
elsewhere), assume to be rational statements of the obvious. Tearing down and
reconstructing those
myths serves our students by encouraging critical reading and thinking skills,
considering ideas from
another person's perspective and allowing for a deeper understanding of the
value and moral system
that binds (or bonds, take your pick) us together. I would pair this book with
Wicked to help eliminate
any vestiges of binary, either/or, right/wrong, yes/no thinking that is
perpetuated by media,
governments, religions, and institutions. I tried doing this with Textbook and
it didn't work too well.

Other than that, I think the other book lists are acceptable.

Devon Hackelton

.>===== Original Message From englecturers at lists.ucr.edu =====
>Hello all,
>
>Time to update everyone on the 1A/B/C book list following yesterday's
afternoon meeting. We have,
out of a desire to solicit more feedback, put off making any firm decisions on
delisting or new listings
until we give folks another chance to speak up in defense of the texts they
are using.

>Here's the list of works still in doubt, by class:
>
>1A: Zami
>1C: Paradise
>1C: Native Speaker
>1C: Text Book
>
>Of the books above, two in particular (Zami and Paradise) seem to have little
interest. I'd be interested
in hearing what people are doing with them -- if anything. Barring a defense
of the above from some
quarter not hitherto heard from, the above works might well be bumped from the
list. We don't want to
remove a book that's seeing use, but neither do we want unsightly cobwebs on
our bookshelf.

>I will briefly make a comment on Text Book myself, one that seems fairly
consistent with what I'm
hearing from others: It seems that those of us who are inclined to use Text
Book at all only ever use a
few pages from it, and so usually we just distribute a handout or assign a
reading or two on Reserve
from the book. Is that a fair assessment?

>You'll also recall that I distributed some descriptions of texts that might
be considered for inclusion
on future lists; we have trimmed down the list only slightly. It now includes
the following works:

>1A: Having our Say
>1B: Reefer Madness (this is another book by Schlosser of Fast Food Nation
fame)
>1B: The Hungry Woman
>1C: Rereading America (a reader)
>1C: Farewell my Lovely (for use in combination with Devil in a Blue Dress)
>1C: In the Belly of the Beast
>1C: Cruddy
>
>Two texts seemed like possibly interested additions, but have been put off
until an experiment can be
made of them:
>1C: Reading Lolita in Tehran (I screwed up and left this one out of the last
list; its description appears
below)
>1C: The Diamond Age
>If others are willing to give either of the above a test drive, keep us
posted.

>The remaining texts, listed below, were on our "endangered list" earlier, but
appear to have been
rescued:

>Always Running (1A)
>Twilight (1B)
>Medea (1B)
>Tortilla Curtain (1B)
>Heroes and Saints (1B)
>Confessions of a Justified Sinner... (1C)
>Dreaming in Cuban (1C) (Someone at our meeting pointed out that this
particular text's author is a
professor on campus. Given this fact, and the possibility that interested
instructors might be able to
nab the author as a guest speaker or visitor to their classes, we thought that
we should keep it around
a little while longer, in the hopes that it might be able to get better use
than it has been getting so far.)
>The Dispossessed (1B)
>
>Lastly, here is a description and recommendation of the aforementioned
Reading Lolita, a text that I
sloppily left out of the last batch of descriptions. At the moment, it does
not look as though we will be
adopting it, but we'd be interested in input from those who experiment with
the work. The paragraph
below is in the recommender's own words (not mine).

>  Reading Lolita in Tehran, A Memoir in Books
>  I highly recommend Nafisi's book Reading Lolita in Tehran, A Memoir in
Books (2003, IBSN
081297106X, 384 pages). I found it last spring when I was searching for just
the right book to give as a
gift to a young relative of mine preparing to go away to college. I thought
this suited her, and for the
same reasons our students, because it approaches literary analysis from a
perspective of examining
how books impact the lives of readers. In addition, the topical nature of the
setting is relevant and
informative as an aid for our students, and all of us, as we seek to better
understand a part of the world
that has become so integral to our own politics and culture. Even though it
belongs most naturally in a
1C class, I hope that we will include this text in our program somewhere, even
if the 1C portion of the
program is eliminated, because it is so powerful. Given the memoir bent of the
book, I think that it
could function quite well as a 1A text too. Below, I've pasted a review of the
book from the Barnes &
Noble web site (where, by the way, the text is ranked at 95 for B & N sales).
It provides a brief summary
of the text and a positive assessment of the writing.

>  Library Journal
>
>  Nafisi taught English literature at the University of Tehran from 1979 to
1981, when she was
expelled for refusing to wear the veil, and later at the Free Islamic
University and Allameh Tabatabai in
Tehran. In 1997, she and her family left Iran for the United States. This
riveting memoir details Nafisi's
clandestine meetings with seven hand-picked young women, who met in her home
during the two-year
period before she left Iran to read and discuss classic Western novels like
Lolita, The Great Gatsby, and
Pride and Prejudice. The women, who at first were suspicious of one another
and afraid to speak their
minds, soon opened up and began to express their dreams and disappointments as
they responded to
the books they were reading. Their stories reflect the oppression of the
Iranian regime but also the
determination not to be crushed by it. Nafisi's lucid style keeps the reader
glued to the page from start
to finish and serves both as a testament to the human spirit that refuses to
be imprisoned and to the
liberating power of literature. Highly recommended for all libraries. [For an
interview with Nafisi, see p.
100.]-Ron Ratliff, Kansas State Univ., Manhattan Copyright 2003 Reed Business
Information.

>Okay, that's all I have for you in this report. Please let me know if you
have any strong feelings about
the first list of texts above.