[Englecturers] Workload Committee

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Thu Jun 16 15:55:07 PDT 2005

Dear All,

I know what we need for the report, and my comment about
administrators wanting a purely "descriptive" report was
meant to be sarcastic.  I don't think submitting papers to be
graded, or writing narratives recounting "a day in the life
of a lecturer," would be appropriate for what we need here.
What I need, and now have, is just a straightforward account
of how many hours we spend doing our jobs.  What I still
need, is an account of how many hours we spend doing that
which is not our job --writing letters of recommendation and
the like.

I intend to write this report over the week-end, and it will
problably spill over into next week.  After that, it's done
simply because we don't have any more time.  I'll send
everyone a copy, and hope that you will trust Ben, Linda, and
me to do the final report ppropriately.  This report will
then be put forward for a motion by the whole committee to
vote on a workload reduction.  If the whole committee doesn't
agree to our recommendations for a reduced workload, then
Ben, Linda, and I will submit our own report.  Katherine, I
believe, will sign on to our report, if need be, or write her
own report in addition to ours recommending a workload
reduction to seven courses.    I will let everyone know what
happens.

Just a quick aside:  as a student of the post-modern I am
charmed by the way the reponses to the listserve take on a
life of their own -- but I am not so charmed by the
realization that the listserve, following its own post-modern
raison d'etre, seems to wander at will off the lecturers'
listserve -- or am I being too paranoid here, the curse of a
true modernist?

I greatly appreciate all your help.  Thank you.

yours in solidarity,

Stephanie