[Englecturers] Workload Committee

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Wed Jun 15 22:36:35 PDT 2005

All,

I too think that having them grade papers isn't really a good idea.  This assumes that they are reasonable people, which they have shown themselves not to be.

Now, if they would resign their current positions, and receive our salary level, and do our level of work for one year -- _that_ I'd like to see.

A description of the enormous amount of work we do should be enough.  We all know that a course reduction is in order.

Just by the by, a former colleague of ours who now works in Seattle at UW as a lecturer (also on the quarter system), teaches five classes a year, and in his second year, makes roughly the money of someone at UCR for ten years.

just riling up the troops,  ;-)

Keith D.

PS.  I would like very much to be able to respond to someone off-list -- but this listserv seems to only allow responses that go to everyone.  Anyone else of the same mind?

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu wrote:
Cynthia, Ben, Stephanie, et. al.:

My only word of caution about grading exercises for administrators
is that they can backfire unless there is some sort of norming
beforehand. (Cynthia may have anticipated this need by proposing the
assembly of packets with high, middle, and low papers.) In the absence of
preliminary norming, the process becomes scattered (as a famous study of
instructors' grading biases in various disciplines has shown), and can
easily undermine the idea that the evaluation of essays is something more
than the exercise of each graders' idiosyncrasies.

John

http://mail.yahoo.com