[Englecturers] workload committee meetings

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:34:57 PDT 2005

Dear Capitan Steponsky,

work week at UCR teaching three classes this past spring quarter. Let it be
known that for many reasons, I try to limit my day spent working to five per
week although that is seldom the case in practice. And this is the best case
scenario--usually not the case--of me teaching three of the same classes
(which limits prep work). Also, sometimes our dated technology (obsolete
computers, hand-me-down printers, broken copiers, and telephones that don't
allow outgoing calls) tend to make the day a bit longer.

Monday

5:00 a.m.: awake, dress, personal hygiene time.
5:30 a.m.: Check email from the weekend and respond to students' concerns.
6:00 a.m.: Re-read (or read) assigned reading for the day.
7:00 a.m.: Leave for UCR
8:00 a.m.: Arrive at UCR. Finish reading and responding to email, read and
respond to mail.
8:30 a.m.: Meet with students who cannot attend regular office hours or grade
essays or finish reading for the day or create handouts or update Blackboard
or prepare current research for lesson plans for the day.
9:00 a.m.: Meet with students during office hour or grade essays or finish
work listed above.
10:00 a.m.: Teach class. Meet with one or two students briefly before class
and with one or two students after class.
11:00 a.m.: Teach class. Meet with one or two students briefly before class
and with one or two students after class.
12:00 p.m.: Teach class. Meet with one or two students briefly before class.
1:00 p.m.: Meet with any and all students after class who cannot attend
morning office hours.
1:30 p.m.: Drive home.
2:30 p.m.: Eat lunch.
3:00 p.m.: Grade essays (typically 3 per hour). All essays are returned within
one week after due date. On days with no essays, read through student drafts
on paper or via email. Other days, read through and comment on Blackboard
entries.
6:00 p.m.: Eat dinner.
6:30 p.m.: Finish grading or reading or prep work.
7:30 p.m.: Family time until 9:30 p.m.
9:30 p.m.: Wrap up grading or prep work.
10:00 p.m.: Finished for the day.

Tuesday: My day off from UCR!

Wednesday:  Same as Monday

Thursday: My day off from UCR!

Friday:  Same as Monday and Wednesday.

Saturday:
6:00 a.m.: Grade essays or read and prepare for upcoming week's classes.
12:00 p.m.: Family time for the rest of the day.
9:00 p.m.: More grading.
11:00 p.m.: Finish for the night.

Sunday:
Same as Saturday.

So on weeks that essays are being graded, I spend about 52 hours per week for
three classes; on other weeks, that number drops down to around 45 hours per
week since in-class essays are often graded faster than out-of-class essays.

Also, the computer program that the Vice-Provost may be speaking of is
Calibrated Peer Review (or CPR) which I have used once or twice at UCR. This
program allows students to submit essays on-line, read through and assess
three sample essays (written by the instructor) and then read and assess three
of their classmates' essays and finally read and assess their own work. It may
limit grading time (although the prep time is astronomical) if we are
comfortable having students grade each others' essays. I use it as rough draft
peer review for the students which adds another level of work onto my
schedule. If you want to know the particulars, just ask.

I agree with L.'s idea of including sample papers in your narrative; perhaps
69 of them should be included to show the typical two-week workload of
somebody teaching three classes.

Keep on Steppin on!

Devon Hackelton