[Englecturers] RE: Devoid of Content--Form and Function (part 2)

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Thu Jun 2 21:40:33 PDT 2005

No,
I meant Scan-tron finals, not finals held in Pennsylvania (however
entertaining that might be) and I meant those capital S Sirens instead of
those odious wailing devices atop emergency vehicles. Any other errors you can
decipher for yourself...

And just for fun, check out this sentence I picked up somewhere:
"I hit him in his eye yesterday."
The trick is to insert the word "only" at every possible position in the
sentence (begin with "Only I hit him in his eye yesterday" and end with "I hit
him in his eye yesterday only") to lead into a discussion about modifier
placement and its impact on meaning.

Devon Hackelton