[Englecturers] Fwd: Devoid of Content

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Thu Jun 2 13:49:55 PDT 2005

John--

Well, yeah, I disagree with Fish's claim that "merely"
discussing (talking about and writing about) ideas will not
likely lead to language awareness.  Certainly any good
discussion of an idea depends on the language used to
describe it--the good texts that provide complex and
intriguing ideas always require looking closely and
critically at the language and the "relationship's" (Fish's
emphasis) of the words to each other.

But I tend to disagree with most of what Fish has had to say
on lots of things--not that he is "wrong," but that in
arguing his own idea he so quickly and nastily dismisses
other possibilities--as if there is only ONE RIGHT WAY to do
anything--and only he knows what that is!  Wrong!

I'm thinking of this only superficially right here really
fast, but it seems to me that with a good text that provides
a varity of possibilities for thinking about things, any
good  instructor can do lots of things having to do with
language; I'm not sure the reverse is true--I think the idea
of having students create their own language is really
cool,but I guess I would hate to see that be the only thing
they do when they spend so little time in these courses.

Julie