[Englecturers] re: workload grievance

skay at ucr.edu skay at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 21 18:06:30 PST 2005

Dear All,

By now you know that we won our workload grievance, and that
class sizes have been reduced to 21 for Subject A and 23 for
1ABC ( if we ever see 1C again).  BW3 remains at 15.  We got
a little bit of money for overtime pay, but the big win was
reduction in class size.  The University settled the
grievance at the Step 3 level - systemwide with our Union and
forestalled arbitration.  We had a very strong grievance, and
I think it's clear the University didn't want a judge to set
precedent.  But we did agree to take the pre-six year
avoidance grievance off the table.  By reducing class size,
we did get more classes and more people hired.  We are ready,
however, to file the pre-six year avoidance grievance again
if it looks as if the University is planning to engage in any
skulduggery.

I will be glad to discuss all of this in more detail at our
Union meetings.

In Solidarity,
Stephanie