[Englecturers] RE: Voting for Chair

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Sun Feb 6 19:07:42 PST 2005

I'm not sure whether this email went through the first time so I'm resending
it.  Please note that there's a wrong address for Parama:  There aint no
such bird as proy at ucr.edu@webmail.ucr.edu.   I've changed it to:
proy at ucr.edu; proy at webmail.ucr.edu.  One of those addresses should go
through and prevent the screw-up with the cyberspace postmaster that I just
experienced.  - C.

Dear colleagues:

So okay, my self-imposed moratorium on writing emails (made last week)
didn't last long (!), but in light of John's comments and given that I'm the
one who placed the motion in question on the agenda of Monday's meeting, I
feel I have to respond.

I actually share some of John's concerns about the proposed change in chair
selection, for reasons similar to, if not identical with, the ones he puts
forth.  I don't claim (and never did) that the change will usher in a
utopian reign or prove to be a panacea for all our current ills - and I'm
even willing to concede the possibility that certain unfortunate
consequences might result from it.  Nevertheless, given the events of the
past months, it seems clear to me that taking the selection of department
chair into our own hands is the lesser (BY FAR!) of two evils, and a
necessary course of action if we ever want to be able to look at ourselves
in the mirror again without cringing with embarrassment.

My motion was deliberately couched in the broadest terms, to avoid
prejudging the specific procedures we might want to adopt as a way of
choosing the chair.  In fact, there is nothing in my motion that would
prevent implementation of John's preferred method of regular rotation of
senior faculty (which I happen to agree with in principle).  The nightmarish
spectre John evokes, of a tumultuous election with competing slates of
candidates giving demagogic campaign speeches and promising three SUVs in
every garage to those willing to vote for them, strikes me as the mother of
all reductio(s) ad absurdum.  Need I point out that it bears no resemblance
whatever to what actually happens in those departments that choose their own
chairs?

It frankly boggles my mind how quickly we are willing to forgive and forget
inept and/or outrageous behavior on the part of administrators (not only
Martin's, but Jury's as well) and how little it takes for us to be appeased
by the scraps they eventually deign to throw at us.  Yes, hip hip hooray,
Martin finally did choose an interim chair - two months after the decision
should have been made and after he had (illegally) placed the department in
de facto receivership (under himself) and created an incredible amount of
confusion and uncertainty.  And for that we're supposed to feel grateful and
relieved - not to mention confident that from hereon in he will make good
decisions in a competent and timely fashion???!!!

Even apart from the unconscionable length of time it took Martin to choose
an interim (or even an acting!) chair, there is also the little matter of
the method he used to make his decision.  Apparently Martin thinks the way
to go about such a task is to call into his office the 2 or 3 people he
views as synonymous with "the department" and try to strong-arm each in turn
to accept the position on his terms.  He clearly sees no need to consult
with or invite input from other faculty members - particularly (I can't help
but notice) if they don't happen to have a penis.  Perhaps he thinks the
rest of us are on the janitorial staff and teach courses to supplement our
salary?  Those completely ignored and kept out of the loop consist not only
of "lowly" assistant professors but also very senior people, including the
exceedingly tiny number of women full professors - yours truly, to cite just
one example.

Now I hasten to reassure everyone that I not only have absolutely no
interest in becoming chair but I wouldn't accept the position under any
circumstances or for any amount of money.  Frankly I wouldn't want to be a
member of a department that was headed by me (was it W.C. Fields or Groucho
Marx who declared that he wouldn't want to belong to any club that accepted
him as a member?).  That being said, I find it outrageous that we have in
effect reverted to a governance system which is a pitiful parody of the
backroom, cigar-smoking, old boy's practices of decision-making along the
lines of Tammany Hall pols.  My problem with this system has nothing to do
with the specific tiny handful of people considered by Martin to be "the
department" - you'll no doubt recall that I myself proposed a co-chairship
of Emory and Steve, and later enthusiastically supported Steve's candidacy
for interim chair.  Rather, the problem is with an intolerably
authoritarian, sexist, and bureaucratic mindset which arbitrarily decides
who does and doesn't "count" in the department and which embraces a concept
of faculty "representation" that seems (to put the most generous
construction on it) a throwback to czarist Russia.  That anyone can see this
mindset and its resulting practices as at heart 'democratic' leaves me
absolutely speechless.  But hey, in a world in which military occupation
equals liberation and torture equals anti-terrorism, I guess all words have
a pretty wide latitude of meaning ..

On a more conciliatory note:  Given that John obviously feels strongly about
this issue and would in effect be disenfranchised if it were voted on at
Monday's meeting - and given also that all of us would no doubt benefit from
having a little more time to consider the matter and weigh alternative
methods of choosing a chair - I want to substitute the following motion for
the one I offered last week:

THAT the motion to have the English Department choose its own chair rather
than cede that power to the (interim/acting/ersatz/fill-in-the-blank) dean
be postponed for discussion and voting on until the March department
meeting; and

THAT in the meantime the interim chair constitute an ad hoc committee to
look into the way other departments choose their chair and to either
recommend a specific method or propose several alternative methods by which
the English Department might henceforth select its chair.

Slainte,

Carole

  _____