[Englecturers] Re: Voting for Chair

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Fri Feb 4 17:01:18 PST 2005

>Colleagues:

      Since I will be at a meeting at UCSB on Monday, I'm taking this
opportunity to register an opinion about the proposal to elect the
departmental chair.  I'm against the motion, not only because I think it is
a reaction to a personality (the interim dean's) rather than a response to
a systemic problem, but also because it would introduce a series of new
problems without giving us greater benefits than the system of
consultation, rotation, and appointment that has served us for more than a
generation.

      I agree with those who believe that the chairmanship should not
become a prize that subtly transforms well-meaning faculty members into
competing candidates and their colleagues into supporters and
rivals.  There are higher though unglamorous principles at stake in the
selection of the chair, and they are at their heart democratic.  There is
especially the unglamorous notion that there is a fairly regular rotation
of the most senior members of the department (at least those who are most
available and who have not disqualified themselves) into and out of the
job, and the tempering notion -- served by the principle of rotation --
that the work is necessary rather than desirable, something to take on
rather than to aspire toward.   I don't believe a chair has served two
regular terms in the entire history of the Department.  The only associate
to serve in the last thirty years has been Milton Miller, who was at that
time approaching retirement.

      In my twenty-five years on campus and my experience with the
selection of seven chairs, I have been impressed with how the choices have
always reflected a tacit consensus within the Department.  There has never
been a sense that a selection has set us on a particular road -- on a path
that an election, with its inevitable roster of winners and losers, had
forced the Department to choose instead of another.

      Our current interim dean has committed a terrible error in holding us
in limbo, perhaps not even understanding that he was doing so.  But now he
has finally appointed an interim chair, and will, if he knows anything at
all about his job, appoint one for a longer term beginning in July.  I
think it would be wrong to indirectly institutionalize his grave
administrative mistake with an election process that would introduce new
and unnecessary uncertainties into our departmental life and our relations
with the college office.

John Briggs