[Englecturers] FW: Race and Pedagogy (2/15/06; 9/14/06-9/16/06)

Steven Axelrod steven.axelrod at ucr.edu
Fri Dec 16 18:42:08 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-cfp at lists.sas.upenn.edu [mailto:owner-cfp at lists.sas.upenn.edu]
On Behalf Of Tamiko Nimura
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:03 PM
To: cfp at english.upenn.edu
Subject: CFP: Race and Pedagogy (2/15/06; 9/14/06-9/16/06)

Call for Papers
Introduction

The University of Puget Sound (Tacoma, WA) will host a conference on=20 Race
and Pedagogy keynoted by Prof. Cornel West on Sept. 14-16, 2006.=20 The
conference will bring together scholars, teachers, and students to=20=

discuss the pedagogical implications of race in higher education,=20
particularly but not exclusively in institutions and programs oriented=20=

towards a liberal education in the arts and sciences. Refining,=20
extending, and questioning our understanding of the pedagogical=20
implications of race is critical if we are to improve the=20 racial-cultural
experiences of all our students and prepare our=20 students for citizenship
and leadership in a diverse world where race=20 continues to matter.

The conference planning committee encourages teachers, scholars, and=20
students across disciplines (e.g. humanities, social sciences, physical=20=

sciences) with an interest in race and pedagogy to examine the three=20
themes which will guide the conference. We hope that you will recognize=20=

areas of interest and/or concern in these themes, and will consider=20
joining us as either presenters and/or participants. In addition to=20
invited speakers and panels, the conference will include refereed=20 panels,
papers, and poster sessions. For a list of confirmed=20
speakers/participants and specific submission guidelines, please visit=20=

the conference web site at http://www.ups.edu/raceandpedagogy/.=20
Questions can be addressed by email to <raceandpedagogy at ups.edu>.

Theme 1: Race, Knowledge, and Disciplinarity

Overview: This theme explores the ways in which specific academic=20
disciplines negotiate the issue of race and the ways in which race=20
enables and/or constrains the production of knowledge.

Papers and/or panels exploring this theme might:
	=95 	explore the range of goals different instructors and/or =
disciplines=20
have for student learning when engaging the issue of race;
	=95 	address such questions as: "why has race assumed a =
prominent=20
position in certain disciplines?" as well as "why has race been=20 rendered
invisible in certain disciplines?";
	=95 	identify and examine disciplinary (and =
interdisciplinary) modes of=20
inquiry through which race enters a discipline's scholarly conversation=20=

and its classrooms;
	=95 	explore different aspects (themes, issues, events, =
processes,=20
individuals, etc.) of what constitutes a discipline's understanding of=20=

race;
	=95 	identify and examine how issues of race (e.g. racialized =
exclusion=20
and inclusion, silencing and supremacy) function in the way "we" both=20
encounter and/or construct what has come to count as knowledge (the=20 given
and primary categories and/or ways of seeing and investigating=20 the social
and material world which appear natural and which frame,=20 identify,
distinguish, reproduce, and sustain our discrete disciplinary=20=

or interdisciplinary "homes"); and,
	=95 	identify questions, objectives, perspectives, topics,=20
methodologies, research strategies, and/or pedagogical techniques for=20
situating race more productively in disciplinary conversations and in=20 the
classroom.

Theme 2: Racial Dynamics and Racial Performances in the Classroom (and=20=

beyond)

Overview: This theme explores the ways in which students and teachers=20
embody and perform race, and the ways in which racial dynamics affect=20
behavior inside and outside the classroom.

Papers and/or panels exploring this theme might:
	=95 	identify and examine the different behaviors and forms =
of racial=20
performance in which students and teachers engage as well as the=20
consequences and/or effects of these behaviors and localized, embodied=20=

performances (e.g. stereotyping, privilege, violence);
	=95 	help conference participants recognize productive and/or=20=

problematic racial dynamics and performances;
	=95 	develop strategies for responding to these dynamics and=20=

performances;
	=95 	identify strategies for hindering and promoting =
motivation and=20
student learning;
	=95 	help conference participants understand how our =
racialized bodies=20
work as texts that carry the inscription and memory of history;
	=95 	identify strategies for managing the selection, =
representation,=20
interpretation, and reception of the knowledge that is brought to and=20
created in the classroom; and,
	=95 	explore ways to negotiate the challenges and =
possibilities for=20
building critically empowering and participatory learning communities.

Theme 3: Race, Pedagogy, and Community

Overview: This theme explores the ways in which students, teachers,=20
administrators, and the educational institutions which they=20 collectively
constitute are situated within or in relation to broader=20 communities.

Papers and/or panels exploring this theme might:
	=95 	identify and examine the ways through which particular =
historical=20
or contemporary communities and/or social movements have challenged and=20=

changed the kinds and terms of knowledge, and the access to and=20
representation of peoples of color in higher education.
	=95 	identify ways to locate, formulate, and question the =
ways in which=20
our institutional identities as publicly accountable and obliged=20 citizens
continually shape and reshape the way we understand our=20 contemporary
pedagogical possibilities and opportunities; and
	=95 	explore tensions, partnerships, and possibilities that =
can shape=20
pedagogy.
*****
Tamiko F. Nimura