[Edge-faculty] Cynthia A. Randles talk today Geol 2460H 3:00pm

Theresa Kane theresa.kane at ucr.edu
Thu Dec 8 12:08:31 PST 2022

Dear All,

A quick reminder that Dr. Cynthia A. Randles will be giving a talk today, December 8th, at 3:00pm in the NASA Conference Room (Geology 2460H).

Talk Title:

From Aerosols to Greenhouse Gasses:  A completely unintentional path from academia to industry to leading the Methane Alert and Response System (MARS) – a major new initiative from UNEP’s International Methane Emissions Observatory

Cynthia A. Randles, Ph. D.

UNEP IMEO MARS Program Manager and National Inventory Advisor

Abstract:

This talk will take you on a journey that will highlight the many alternative career paths outside academia available to those earning degrees in Earth sciences today – from a person who has experienced three of them.  Along the way, I’ll highlight some of the interesting things I’ve worked on, and lessons learned. Post-graduate school I started out as a government researcher working on aerosol modeling and remote sensing at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center for nearly a decade.  Wanting a new challenge, I surprisingly found myself applying for a position as a climate scientist for ExxonMobil.  I spent six years helping the company to better understand climate science; managing external research with major partners such as UCR, Harvard, and Columbia University; acting as an author for the IPCC greenhouse gas inventory report; and helping the company better use remote sensing technologies – especially satellites – to monitor and manage their own emissions.  Finally, hoping to make a bigger difference (and to get out of the office), earlier this year I made the transition to the international stage – working with UNEP’s International Methane Emissions Observatory to translate satellite detections of methane to actionable data and ultimately on-the-ground mitigation.  I will give a brief overview of MARS and share how interested researchers can get involved with the IMEO, particularly with our sponsored science studies.

Sincerely,
Theresa

Theresa Kane
​Administrative Support