[Edge-faculty] Reminder: Upcoming talk by Dr. Cynthia Randles Dec 8th, 3pm

Theresa Kane theresa.kane at ucr.edu
Mon Dec 5 09:28:10 PST 2022

Dear All,

If interested in meeting with Cynthia on Thursday Dec 8th, please click on the link below.  She has limited availability, but all are welcome to join us at the Barn for dinner from 6-ish to 7:30-ish.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QXpUmRlThTLw7C3DBT_j7UPBkTxEW3kS6tVQ2VJWES4/edit?usp=sharing

Talk Title:

>From Aerosols to Greenhouse Gasses:  A completely unintentional path from academia to industry to leading the Methane Alert and Response System (MARS) – a major new initiative from UNEP’s International Methane Emissions Observatory

Cynthia A. Randles, Ph. D.

UNEP IMEO MARS Program Manager and National Inventory Advisor

Abstract:

This talk will take you on a journey that will highlight the many alternative career paths outside academia available to those earning degrees in Earth sciences today – from a person who has experienced three of them.  Along the way, I’ll highlight some of the interesting things I’ve worked on, and lessons learned. Post-graduate school I started out as a government researcher working on aerosol modeling and remote sensing at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center for nearly a decade.  Wanting a new challenge, I surprisingly found myself applying for a position as a climate scientist for ExxonMobil.  I spent six years helping the company to better understand climate science; managing external research with major partners such as UCR, Harvard, and Columbia University; acting as an author for the IPCC greenhouse gas inventory report; and helping the company better use remote sensing technologies – especially satellites – to monitor and manage their own emissions.  Finally, hoping to make a bigger difference (and to get out of the office), earlier this year I made the transition to the international stage – working with UNEP’s International Methane Emissions Observatory to translate satellite detections of methane to actionable data and ultimately on-the-ground mitigation.  I will give a brief overview of MARS and share how interested researchers can get involved with the IMEO, particularly with our sponsored science studies.