[ds-undergrads] STAT Department Discord Server

Analisa Flores analisa.flores at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 9 14:10:18 PST 2023

Dear STAT Department community,

In an effort to provide open and efficient communication among the members
of our department (faculty, staff, and undergraduate and graduate
students), the STAT Department DEI Committee is piloting a STAT Department
Discord server for the Winter 2023 quarter. We hope this server will
provide an effective avenue for making department-wide announcements,
posting opportunities for our students, and relaying other important
department-related information - all while reducing the number of emails we
send/receive!

It is important to note that this Discord server is NOT meant to be a
platform for “conversations”. Instead, it should be considered and used as
a virtual bulletin board. With these intentions in mind, the following
features have been set:

   -

   Only DEI committee members CAN post, send messages to individual
   members, and make changes to the server.
   -

   Faculty and Staff CAN ONLY post, BUT CANNOT start conversations (that
   is, send messages to individual members), or make changes to the server.
   -

   Graduate and Undergraduate Students CANNOT post, start conversations
   (that is, send messages to individual members), or make changes to the
   server BUT CAN email their respective DEI Committee representative to post
   on their behalf. i.e., Those who are not faculty or staff CANNOT post.

Below is a list of the initial channels that have been created, along with
examples for their use:

   -

   Announcements
   -

      Announce newly hired faculty/staff
      -

      Announce faculty/staff/student awards
      -

      Other relevant department announcements
      -

   Resources
   -

      DEI Committee member contact info (so Discord members can contact the
      appropriate person for posting on their behalf)
      -

   Events
   -

      Colloquium announcements
      -

      HiSS / GSA meetings
      -

      Department gatherings
      -

      DEI scheduled events
      -

      Social hours
      -

   Opportunities-grad
   -

      Job posts
      -

      Internship opportunities
      -

      Research opportunities
      -

      Other relevant Graduate Student Opportunities
      -

   Opportunities-ug
   -

      Job posts
      -

      Internship opportunities
      -

      Scholarship/Grant opportunities
      -

      Research opportunities
      -

      Hackathons/Competitions
      -

      Other relevant Undergraduate Student Opportunities

NOTE: In the future depending on the need, more channels will be created.

Join the Discord server here: https://discord.gg/kuCkbvuR8x

We hope this STAT Department Discord server will be a valuable tool to our
department and its members. Please let us know if you have any questions or
comments.

Sincerely,

STAT Department DEI Committee

Faculty: Analisa Flores & Esra Kurum (co-chairs)

Staff: Patricia Alvarado & Barbara Retana

UG: Alliyah Munir & Sanjana Rajagopal

Grad: Jericho Lawson & Emily Ouyang