[UCR_DataScience] Data Science talk by Prof. Wei (Vivian) Li, Friday October 7th, 12-1pm, MRB Seminar Room

tsotras at cs.ucr.edu tsotras at cs.ucr.edu
Sat Oct 1 14:34:12 PDT 2022

The next Data Science seminar will be next Friday, October 7th, 2022,
12:00-1:00pm at the MRB Seminar Room (1st floor).

**** Pizza and refreshments will be provided ****

To keep track of the number of attendees, please *register* at:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/data-science-talk-tickets-430273588887

The talk will be given by Prof. Wei (Vivian) Li, Department of Statistics,
UCR

Title:
Statistical methods for analyzing and comparing single-cell gene
expression data

Abstract:

Single-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) experiments enable gene expression
measurement at a single-cell resolution, and provide an opportunity to
characterize the molecular signatures of diverse cell types and states in
tissue development and disease progression. However, it remains a
challenge to construct a comprehensive view of single-cell transcriptomes
in health and disease, due to the knowledge gap in properly modeling the
high-dimensional, sparse, and noisy scRNA-seq data. In this talk, I will
introduce two data science methods we have developed for analyzing and
comparing single-cell gene expression data.

The first one is an integration method which enables joint analysis of
single-cell samples from different biological conditions. This method can
learn coordinated gene expression patterns that are common among, or
specific to, different biological conditions, and identify cellular types
across single-cell samples. I will also discuss the applicability of our
method in diverse biomedical problems. The second one is a statistically
principled method for identifying, quantifying, and comparing RNA
transcripts from scRNA-seq data. Accurate and sensitive profiling of RNA
transcripts is of great importance in understanding the mechanisms and
consequences of gene expression regulation and can have diagnostic values
in clinical settings. We propose a method to address computational
questions arising from this biological problem.

Seminar is to foster collaborations between "core" Data Science faculty
(from CSE/ECE/Stat Departments) and faculty/visitors from other sciences
that face Data Science problems in their research. These informal
gatherings are open to interested faculty and graduate students. Each
meeting will start with a talk describing research problems and then a
discussion will follow for questions, open problems, ideas for possible
collaborations etc.

A full list of previous seminars appears at:
http://datascience.ucr.edu/seminars

Please forward this email to other colleagues or graduate students in your
lab that may be interested.

Moreover, if you are interested in giving a Data Science related talk,
please contact me.

Sincerely,
Vassilis Tsotras
Professor, CSE Department