[CW-Grad] Poetry Alumnus Neil Aitken strikes again!

Alba Cruz-Hacker ahacker13 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:20:37 PDT 2012

Wonderful news, Neil!!!

Congratulations,

Alba

From: cwgrad-announcements-bounces at lists.ucr.edu
[mailto:cwgrad-announcements-bounces at lists.ucr.edu] On Behalf Of Sara Borjas
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:39 PM
To: Robin Russin
Cc: mfa_alumni at lists.ucr.edu; cwgrad-announcements at lists. ucr. edu
Subject: Re: [CW-Grad] Poetry Alumnus Neil Aitken strikes again!

Yay! Congratulations Neil!

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Robin Russin <robin.russin at ucr.edu> wrote:

>From Neil, via FB:

Guess it's official now. My poem "Vigil" was selected out of 800 entries
from all over the US and awarded 1st prize in the 3rd annual Beyond Baroque
Poetry Contest. Needless to say, I am humbled and delighted by this honor.
It's a poem that grew out of a scrap of paper, a few unmoored images, and a
memory of my mother during the long days while we cared for my father who
was dying of ALS.

Regarding the poem, contest judge Suzanne Lummis said:

"Of all the entries, my first choice, "Vigil," was the one that struck that
fine balance between clarity and mystery, simplicity, and shimmering depth.
After I'd read it, it continued to echo in my imagination."

Kudos, Neil!

Robin Russin

Associate Professor and Director
MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
(951) 827-2707 <tel:%28951%29%20827-2707>
(213) 949-1061 <tel:%28213%29%20949-1061>  cel
robin.russin at ucr.edu
http://robinrussin.com

"I try all things; I achieve what I can." - Ishmael in "Moby Dick," written
by Herman Melville

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." - William Munny in "Unforgiven,"
written by David Webb Peoples

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by
Keiko Nobumoto