[CW-Grad] In light of the Petraeus circus, I once again present:

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 13 09:42:01 PST 2012

Dear MFAs,

This is my yearly missive about one of the biggest potential problems you may face. Some of this is exactly what I've written in past years--because the exact same problem remains.

I'm talking about electronic messaging: Email, Facebook, Twitter, blog postings and other electronic booby-traps. Jon Stewart likes to point out, in reference to prevaricating politicians, "Don't they know we have video?"

Well, the same thing could be said about online communications.

As writers, you may all feel in control of your use of the written word. You've probably been warned to death about how what you post survives forever, so don't post things you may regret later.

But it's more subtle than simply not sending out offensive or libelous messages.  Email and its social networking progeny are deceptive in that, unlike hand-written or even hard copy, typed communication, they are singularly tone-deaf.

You wonder why emoticons were invented? It's not so that tweener kids can get all cute with each other (though that's an annoying side-effect). It's because without them, there is a real danger that the tone, emotion and/or intent of the note can be totally lost, or worse, misinterpreted.

:(

Over the years, I have again and again been witness to this major failing of these media. In a voicemail, you can modulate your voice to communicate intention; even a typed or hand-written note conveys the gentle grace of an earlier time, and does not seem to be not subject to this problem.

But email, tweets and other such messages are all tone deaf. TYPE IN CAPS and one might think you're shouting, when you were only attempting to emphasize a critical point or had your caps lock on.

Attempt jovial sarcasm that you think will get a chuckle, and it can come across as a true insult. Be direct and to the point, and it can read as rude and abrupt, when you were just trying to be direct and to the point.

And, as current news reveals yet again, if something needs to be kept personal... don't broadcast it, or assume that email or facebook posts will only reach or be read (or seen, in the case of photos) by the intended person.

Therefore, I urge you: If it's something important, that really requires conversation, then find a time to get together and converse, or at least get on the phone (you know, that old-fashioned thing with buttons and numbers and stuff) and save yourselves some real aggravation. Or at least write a hard copy.

If you must use email, especially when dealing with someone you don't know well, be especially careful and thoughtful. Write it, then let it sit for a minute, then re-read it to be sure it conveys exactly what you want it to.

You are all wonderful writers. That's why you're here. You know your craft, and you may assume that what you write online will come across as what you mean. DON'T. Approach your emails, especially important ones, as you would any other important piece of writing, only more so. Take some time. Read them over and rewrite them to be sure you're getting across what you want to. Put in a smiley face, even.

:)

Mostly, use your common sense. It's what it's there for.

Associate Professor and Director
MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto