[CW-Grad] From a playwright acquaintance: call for submissions

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Sat Mar 31 18:50:58 PDT 2012

Hello playwright-type friends! I am currently working with a student organization here at Millikin University that produces a four-show season every year. This organization is made up of theatre majors (B.A.s and B.F.A.s in acting, musical theatre, theatre administration, stage management, and design/production), and is overseen by a faculty member with additional supervision by a number of department faculty members. I've spent much of time my first year in this job convincing them of the importance of producing new/unpublished plays, and I seem to have finally broken through. They are now interested in staging a production of a new/unpublished play as part of their 2012-2013 season. As time is somewhat short before they need to begin making choices, I thought rather than writing a formal call and distributing it widely, I would start with the nice collection of facebook friends of mine who I know have written plays. If you have a work that you'd be interested in sending along for these students to look at, please e-mail it to me at

trobson at millikin.edu.

The students are looking for (as most companies are) small cast, relatively minimal production element plays. The show would be cast using entirely undergraduate student actors, so plays with lots of age roles might not be appropriate. Most likely the play would be directed by an undergraduate and with undergraduate student designers as well. The company would possibly have the ability to pay a small rights fee, but I wouldn't expect a great deal of money. (I'd be less up-front about some of these elements with people I didn't know.)

If you have questions about how the process would potentially work, just ask me (but please don't reply all to this message so we don't clutter everyone's inbox). If you're interested in submitting something, again, please e-mail me the script and I will share it with the students.

Warmly,

Tom Robson

Robin Russin

Associate Professor and Director
MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto