[CW-Grad] Hey you all - event with Gayle Brandeis, UCR alum, and Susan Straight, UCR still!

Susan C Straight susan.straight at ucr.edu
Sun Mar 4 22:53:43 PST 2012

Dear All,
Gayle and I hardly ever get to do an event together, so thought I'd share this - let people from Inlandia and UCR know, if you'd like.
I mean, we'll talk about writing, too - not just kids.  Seriously.
Susan Straight

Mothers (and a Dad) Who Write:
LESLIE SCHWARTZ, SUSAN STRAIGHT, SAMANTHA DUNN & GAYLE BRANDEIS  with moderator ANTOINE WILSON

Monday, March 19th at 7:30 p.m.

Los Angeles-based writers Gayle Brandeis, Samantha Dunn, Leslie Schwartz, and Susan Straight, with moderator Antoine Wilson, will join us for a discussion of mothers (and a dad) who write.

Gayle Brandeis is the author of Fruitflesh: Seeds of Inspiration for Women Who Write; The Book of Dead Birds, which won the Bellwether Prize for Fiction of Social Engagement; Self Storage; Delta Girls; and My Life with the Lincolns. Her kids are 21, 18 and 2.

Samantha Dunn is the author of several books, including the novel Failing Paris and the memoir Not By Accident: Reconstructing a Careless Life. Her essays and short stories have been widely anthologized, including the collection she co-edited, Women on the Edge: Writing from Los Angeles. She lives in Southern California with her husband and their son, Benen.

Leslie Schwartz is the author of two award-winning novels, the second of which, Angels Crest, debuted as a film nationwide in January. She is the founder of Charlotte: a Journal of Literature and Art and lives in Los Angeles with her family, a 9-year old daughter and a 17-year old stepson.

Susan Straight's latest novel is Take One Candle Light a Room, which begins in the neighborhood right around Skylight and features an LA travel writer who doesn't want to help raise her orphaned godson. Her previous novels include A Million Nightingales and Highwire Moon.  She lives in Riverside with her family.

Antoine Wilson (moderator) wrote the novels Panorama City (forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Fall 2012) and The Interloper (Other Press, 2007). He lives and surfs in Los Angeles. His son is 4 1/2 years old.

more details...<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109344419896&s=1179&e=001RhInyENZvIQi-0Uso3yvGbIr024UAbuAtK_ARzeVCxNbp39ybdqrpOCWyznb1J5AJSPEEMV4iWfFGv3DuBnKiqhlhf4PRymU1CT02P5Dne2jXvW4OrGKw1xbkUPHm-gCpH-tdGggQfHqTvhDJ70cBbQZcw7jK4ozyDyvdlr-Y0VsvH-pjkdLMxpsSWqz9KhGp3O3Nc0GZotnjuViyEpqvyxLvGmaM4sfRRwA2ggMDUQL8pVmH2p71Q==>