[CW-Grad] Fwd: [Faculty] Citizens University Committee Breakfast meeting - last one until October!

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Tue Jun 19 10:05:31 PDT 2012

FYI, in case you didn't get this message--

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robin Clark <Robin.Clark at ucr.edu>
Date: June 19, 2012 9:25:44 AM PDT
To: "staff at scotmail.ucr.edu" <staff at scotmail.ucr.edu>, "campusservices at scotmail.ucr.edu" <campusservices at scotmail.ucr.edu>, "faculty at scotmail.ucr.edu" <faculty at scotmail.ucr.edu>
Subject: [Faculty] Citizens University Committee Breakfast meeting - last one until October!

Don’t miss out on our final CUC breakfast of the season!

The Citizens University Committee June Breakfast Meeting

Wednesday, June 27, 2012
7:15 AM—8:30 AM (Program @ 7:30AM)
University Extension  - Rooms D/E
1200 University Avenue, Riverside, CA

 The Poetic Voice of California

Presentation by

Juan Felipe Herrera
UCR Professor of Creative Writing
California Poet Laureate

The State of California is now learning what we at UCR have known for a very long time. Juan Felipe Herrera is a treasure! Recently named by Governor Jerry Brown in March as the California Poet Laureate, Herrera’s talks are always fun, inspiring, and insightful. Although he is at his best when inspiring children, he will surely show the CUC why he is such a great ambassador for UCR and the State of California!

When named Poet Laureate, Herrera said, “This award is for all the young writers who want to put kindness inside every word throughout the state, because kindness is the heart of creativity.”

Juan Felipe Herrera is the son of migrant farm workers and holds the Tomás Rivera Chair in Creative Writing at UC Riverside. He earned his bachelor’s degree from UCLA and holds master’s degrees from Stanford and Iowa. He joined the UCR faculty in 2005. He has published numerous volumes of poetry, prose, theater, children’s books and young adult novels, including “Half of the World in Light: New and Selected Poems” which received the PEN/Beyond Margins Award, and National Book Critics Circle Award. He was elected to the Board of Chancellors of the Academy of American Poets, and has received the Guggenheim Fellowship in poetry, fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the California Arts Council, and the UC Berkeley Regent’s Fellowship.

With An Update From:
Dennis Michael
Mayor of the City of Rancho Cucamonga

A special Thank You to this month’s sponsor: The Maloof Foundation!

$18.00 for CUC members/$22.00 for non-members (includes deluxe breakfast buffet) CASH or CHECK ONLY PLEASE
Please R.S.V.P. by Friday June 22nd.

You may rsvp to robin.clark at ucr.edu
Or call 827-5184

Associate Professor and Director
MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto