[CW-Grad] CWgrad-announcements Digest, Vol 76, Issue 15

V. Lazaro Zamora aikidevil at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 12:54:59 PST 2012

My name is on here already, but I just want to thank both of you for using
your talents to raise awareness of what happened that day and I hope you
get a lot of faculty and alumni support because this affects us all.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Brian Jeppesen <bjepp001 at ucr.edu> wrote:

> Rachelle and Andrea,
>
> Thank you for drafting this magnificent letter.  I don't have much to add,
> since you have said it well, but I would be happy to add my name to the
> list.
>
> I appreciate your efforts,
>
> Brian Jeppesen
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM, <
> cwgrad-announcements-request at lists.ucr.edu> wrote:
>

>> Today's Topics:
>>
>>   1. Revision of CWPA letter to Chancellor (Rachelle Cruz)

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 22:30:34 -0800
>> From: Rachelle Cruz <rachelle.a.cruz at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [CW-Grad] Revision of CWPA letter to Chancellor
>> To: Mfa Listserve <cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu>,
>>        mfa_alumni at lists.ucr.edu
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Thanks for all your feedback and support, regarding our letter to
>> Chancellor White.
>>
>> Please take a minute to reread it.  Please let us know if there is
>> anything
>> we should add/edit/revise.
>>
>> If you want your name added to the letter, let us know!...That goes for
>> students, staff and faculty!
>>
>> Best,
>> Rachelle
>>
>> ***
>>
>> January 22, 2012
>>
>> Dear Chancellor White,
>>
>> As graduate students and teaching assistants in the MFA Program for
>> Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts, we are deeply
>> disappointed by the actions taken by the University this past Thursday.
>>
>> We participated in the campus-wide action comprised of UC students,
>> faculty, and staff outside of the HUB, while the UC Regents continued
>> their
>> meeting in privacy.  This day-long action was indeed an expression of
>> outrage over rising tuition and depreciating quality of education.  It was
>> also a celebration of community and solidarity.
>>
>> We witnessed our students chanting or engaging in discussions about the
>> grim future of UC Riverside; for many of them, this was their first
>> political protest.  One of our students, a mother of two, brought her
>> three-year-old daughter.  This student lamented forgetting to dress her
>> daughter in her Highlander shirt.  She wanted her daughter to bear witness
>> to the fight for her future education.
>>
>> We witnessed UCR students and community members dressed in black, bearing
>> colorful, lifesize banners depicting the book covers of liberatory texts.
>>  These books envision equality and freedom and question privilege and
>> cultural hegemony, such as Franz Fanon?s The Wretched of the Earth, bell
>> hooks? Feminism is for Everyone, Paolo Freire?s Pedagogy for the
>> Oppressed, among
>> others.  The book bloc remained at the front of the line, protecting
>> protesters as they faced the staggering number of riot police at the HUB
>> exit.  We couldn?t help but recognize the clear metaphor in all of this.

> [...]

"They claim their labors are to build a heaven… yet their heaven is
populated with horrors.
-Dr. Manhattan

http://vlzamora.blogspot.com/