[CW-Grad] FYI: CPLT 222 Description

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Sun Feb 5 16:43:48 PST 2012

From: Stephanie Hammer
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:32 PM
To: Nicole A Bogner
Subject: RE: CPLT 222 Description

Hi Nicole --

(Hi Robin, Erika, Deborah, and Andrew -- please forward as appropriate)

Comp Lit 222 (Wednesdays 4-7 pm, Spring Quarter) is a workshop/seminar where you will read, write, talk to each other, and experiment with how to present "material" in what the late Bill Readings has called the "ruined university."  You will read -- on the average a book -- a week, write a meditation of about 4-5 pages each week, and do some kind of hands-on "teaching" every week as well.  There is no "research paper" per se; the meditations and the practices will hopefully generate some ideas that you can use for scholarship (or not), further writing, and further teaching.  Students from creative departments such as Creative Writing, Dance, Theater and Art are very welcome as are any grad students in the Humanities concerned with contemporary issues of "andragogy" -- the teaching of adults.  Some of the texts that we'll be working with are:  Neil Postman, TEACHING AS A SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITY,  David Damrosch WHAT IS WORLD LITERATURE, bell hooks PEDAGOGY OF HOPE, and my de rigueur  twin- "bibles" Bill Readings, THE UNIVERSITY IN RUINS and Stanley Aronowitz, AGAINST SCHOOLING.