[CW-Grad] FW: Smartish Pace Erskine J. Poetry Prize

Bryan G Bradford bryan.bradford at ucr.edu
Tue Aug 7 07:35:36 PDT 2012

From: Paul Dean [mailto:paulsdean at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 7:35 AM
To: Bryan G Bradford
Subject: Smartish Pace Erskine J. Poetry Prize

Bryan Bradford,

I am an intern for Smartish Pace Magazine, a non-profit poetry review based out of Baltimore, Maryland and founded in 1999. Smartish Pace has published poems by the following Pulitzer Prize<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitzer_Prize> winners:Natasha Trethewey<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Trethewey>, Claudia Emerson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Emerson>, Ted Kooser<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kooser>, Paul Muldoon<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Muldoon>, Carl Dennis<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Dennis>, Stephen Dunn<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Dunn>, Henry Taylor<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_S._Taylor>, Mary Oliver<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Oliver>, Maxine Kumin<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxine_Kumin>, and Anthony Hecht<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Hecht>.

Also, Smartish Pace's website is the home of Poets Q & A, the first interactive poetry forum on the internet, where readers ask questions of well-known poets.

I would like to invite your graduate students to submit poetry for our annual Erskine J. Poetry Prize. The deadline for submissions is September 1st, 2012. All poems submitted for the prize will be considered for publication in Smartish Pace. Therefore, it is possible to have your poems selected for an issue of Smartish Pace even if they do not win the Erskine J. Poetry Prize. The winning poet receives $200. Top three poets and all finalists (usually about 10) are published in Smartish Pace.  The full submission guidelines can be found at:

http://www.smartishpace.com/contests/erskine_j/

Thank you for your time, and I would greatly appreciate your help in forwarding this email to your creative writing graduate students.

Best,

Paul Dean
Intern
Smartish Pace