[CW-Grad] FW: Susan Orlean in town tonight

Bryan G Bradford bryan.bradford at ucr.edu
Thu Nov 3 15:36:23 PDT 2011

Susan Straight sends word that Susan Orlean is in Riverside this evening. Details below:

Dear Prof. Straight,
I know the notice is short, but I had expected more pre-publicity than has occurred.  I wanted to let you and your students know that author and New Yorker Magazine staff writer, Susan Orlean, will talk about and sign her new book, Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend [last week was its third on the NYT Best Seller List] at the Riverside Metropolitan Museum this evening at 6:00 p.m. during Arts Walk. Her previous book-length work, The Orchid Thief was made into the movie "Adaptation" in which Meryl Streep played Susan.  As a long-time Riversider, you probably know that Lee Duncan, the owner and trainer of the first four generations of the canine movie and television stars, trained most of them on his ranch here in Riverside from 1937 until his death in 1960.  The ranch was adjacent to the Fairmount Park Golf Course and the Santa Ana River.  Susan did a lot of her research for the book in the RMM's Rin Tin Tin/Lee Duncan Collection, which contains Duncan's personal and business papers, scripts, movie memorabilia, and hundreds of photographs.

I hope you'll all be able to attend.  Since she has recently moved to Los Angeles, she might be a candidate for next year's Writers' Week.  And, if you have the opportunity to notify your students, I think they would enjoy hearing Susan speak.  The Museum Shop has several copies of the book available, but I don't expect they'll last through the evening if you want to pick one up early.

Hope to see you here.
Kevin

Kevin Hallaran
Archivist