[CW-Grad] FW: Florida Studio Theatre is Looking for a Playwright in Residence

Bryan G Bradford bryan.bradford at ucr.edu
Wed Mar 16 15:10:31 PDT 2011

From: "Amanda Cayo" <acayo at floridastudiotheatre.org>

Date: March 16, 2011 3:03:55 PM PDT

Subject: Florida Studio Theatre is Looking for a Playwright in Residence

Good Afternoon,

Florida Studio Theatre is seeking to apply for a National New Play Network
Emerging Playwright in Residence for the 2011-2012 Season. We are hoping to
connect with your department in order to spread this news and spur
recommendations of and submissions from promising playwrights who may be a
good fit for FST.

Florida Studio Theatre, a LORT D theatre has been in operation in Sarasota
since 1973.  During its history, FST has grown into a theatre with a budget
of over $4 million and 20,000 subscribers a year, more than any theatre its
size in the country. FST produces world premieres and contemporary works
which have been produced on or off-Broadway within the last five years.
Please visit our website  <BLOCKED::http://www.floridastudiotheatre.org/>
http://www.floridastudiotheatre.org/ for more information about our theatre
and production history.

At Florida Studio Theatre we produce theatre that enables us to fulfill our
mission:

1) To make theatre accessible and affordable to as many people as possible,
to reduce social barriers;
2) To present theatre that challenges with as much gusto as it entertains;
3) To be a positive, vital change agent in the community;
4) To operate within and for the public with fiscal responsibility.

At FST, the Playwright in Residence will have time to write, as well as
access to the literary and artistic departments for dramaturgical assistance
and opportunities for public and private readings throughout the development
of their work. The playwright will receive a $10,000 stipend (minus a
reduced rent as housing is included) paid over the course of the 10 - 12
month residency.  Beyond time to develop their own work, the playwright will
have the opportunity to work on children's shows, participate in show
development for our Cabaret season, and teach in our children and adult
classes. The residency will also include administrative duties such as box
office, house management, and general support for the literary department.
Additional details of the program can be seen in the attached document.

Please pass this along to playwrights whom you feel would be a fit to FST's
mission and programming or send us a recommendation. We ask that the
playwright send a 10 page writing sample to Florida Studio Theatre via email
to acayo at floridastudiotheatre.org
<BLOCKED::mailto:acayo at floridastudiotheatre.org>  by March 28th. Once we
review the materials, we will select a playwright and apply for the
residency through the National New Play Network.

The NNPN Emerging Playwrights in Residency Program allows both the
playwright and the organization to grow collectively to develop dynamic
theatre. Sarah Sander, FST's 2009 NNPN Emerging Playwright in Residence had
this to say about her experience:

My writing has advanced (my plays have become more cohesive, clear and
sophisticated) and I have a much firmer understanding of the subjective
nature inherent in selecting plays and bringing them to life. Before coming
to Florida, I wrote in a vacuum, for an audience of one. My NNPN residency
has opened up and expanded my very understanding of theatre by giving me a
supportive, encouraging and expansive home. I know the lessons I've learned
this year will carry over and inform the entirety of my career.

We look forward to inviting a young, talented playwright to our artistic
community. Thank you for your help in this endeavor.

Amanda Cayo

Literary Manager

Florida Studio Theatre

1241 North Palm Avenue

Sarasota, FL 34236

acayo at floridastudiotheatre.org

Confidentiality Statement: This electronic message contains information from
Florida Studio Theatre, and may be confidential or privileged. The
information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited.
If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail or telephone 941.366.9017. Please be
aware that all mail sent to and from Florida Studio Theatre is subject to
the public records law of Florida.

Eric Barr, Professor & Chair

eric.barr at ucr.edu

951-827-6488