[CW-Grad] More good news from Susan Straight

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Wed Mar 9 09:32:03 PST 2011

Apparently, she is now a jock??:

Susan has a short story in ESPN's first ever Fiction Issue, published jointly with McSweeney's:  ESPN The Magazine Fiction Issue: Angel Wings by Susan Straight

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6164730

Also, Susan recommends: "the inaugural issue of BOOM is just out, and it's wonderful.  Essays on immigrant activists, on California's Central Valley, and I have a piece on Art Laboe and California Killer Oldies, with photo by Doug McCulloch. Get a copy, so we keep this great new UCPress sponsored magazine alive - wonderful opportunity for our writers and students in the future."

The pitch from the editors:  We'd like to introduce you to Boom: a Journal of California—the newest publication from UC Press. Published 4 times a year, Boom is the only ongoing journal that addresses the challenges and opportunities that face California today and for the foreseeable future. From the serious to the whimsical, our contributors explore what is (and isn't) working in California's communities. You'll meet the people on the ground that are leading the way and hear what today's most astute writers, thinkers, investigators, and artists have to say about keeping California at the forefront of economic, cultural, and social progress well into the 21st century.

Get the Premier Issue PLUS a full year of Boom: If you're ready to be intrigued, informed, and inspired then please take advantage of the special offer we've arranged for you. Subscribe, right now, you'll get the Premier Issue Free plus a full year—4 more quarterly issues for just $29.95.

Robin Russin

Associate Professor and Director
MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto