[CW-Grad] New Spring Grad Seminar w/ Tiffany Lopez

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Thu Jan 27 18:04:33 PST 2011

Note that this class will satisfy your English requirement, and I will approve it to satisfy any prior Literature in Translation requirements some of you from the 2009 cohort may still have.  Prof. Lopez is now THEA faculty, having come over from the English Dept., and so she is also now MFA faculty.

Professor López
Spring 2011
Course Description
English 289: Seminar in Genres
Thursdays: 9:10 am – 12 noon
INTN 2124

THEORIES OF DRAMA AND PERFORMANCE
IN U.S. LATINA/O LITERARY AND CULTURAL STUDIES

Course Overview: Our seminar readings will focus on writing by scholars
whose work comprises the critical field of U.S. Latina/o dramatic theory and
performance studies. These voices include: Jorge Huerta, Diana Taylor, David
Roman, Alicia Arrizón, José Muñoz, Alberto Sandoval-Sanchez, Yvonne Yarbro
Bejarano, Yolanda Broyles-Gonzalez, Elizabeth Ramirez, Maria Teresa Marrero,
Caridad Svich, Jon Rossini, Arnaldo Cruz-Malavé, Lawrence La
Fountain-Stokes, Coco Fusco and Guillermo Gomez-Peña. We will also read the
work of scholars in theater and performance studies whose work has been
highly influential to the evolution of theories of drama and performance in
U.S. Latina/o literary and cultural studies, such as: Augusto Boal, W. B.
Worthen, Jill Dolon, Harry Elam, Josh Kun, Jill Lane, Tamara Underiner, Adam
Versenyi, Stacey Wolf, and Graham Jones. An important note: this course
operates from an understanding that seminar participants have familiarity
with foundational texts in U.S. Latina/o drama and performance (Luis Valdez,
Cherríe Moraga, Maria Irene Fornes, Migdalia Cruz, Nilo Cruz, Miguel Piñero,
Luis Alfaro, Oliver Mayer, Jose Rivera, Octavio Solis, Culture Clash,
Carmelita Tropicana, Nao Bustamante). Given that our readings will focus
exclusively on the genre of criticism and theory, it is paramount seminar
participants enter the course with knowledge of the primary dramatic and
performance texts that inform our critical terrain.

Please find attached Prof. Lopez's spring course descriptions English 289.

Name: Lopez289CDspring2011.doc
Type: application/msword

Associate Professor, Department of Theatre
Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto