[CW-Grad] Fwd: internship

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 22 07:49:14 PST 2011

From Susan Straight; pass along to interested writing students:

An excellent opportunity, though not paying, for our students.  It gives them a chance to write and publish, and work with art, all great things.
Susan

									INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES

						RESEARCH AND CREATIVE WRITING INTERNS NEEDED FOR

						EXHIBITION PROJECT AT THE RIVERSIDE ART MUSEUM

A New York-based curator is offering a unique opportunity to several UCR creative writing interns in conjunction with an exhibition at the Riverside Art Museum. "Capturing Landscape: California Artists Celebrate a Sense of Place" (opening July 2011) will include approximately thirty works from the museum's permanent collection dating from the 1950s to the present. For many of these artists, the Southern California landscape in particular has been at the core of their practice.

Research Interns will be responsible for locating quotes by writers and poets (historical to contemporary) for use as ancillary label copy throughout the exhibition. Quotes must correspond in spirit to the scenes presented in the artwork, thus capturing in words a sense of place as presented by the artists. Ideally, the writers will be native Californians, but this is not essential.

Creative Writing Interns will be responsible for writing original poems or short stories in response to selected pieces in the exhibition. Passages from each submission will be selected by the curator to accompany the exhibition in the form of labels corresponding to the appropriate piece. Complete writings will be collected in a bound book to accompany the exhibition and student readings will take place at the museum during the exhibition.

Students may apply for one or both internships. Digital images will be provided for reference, but interns are encouraged to view the original artwork at the museum.

Please send a short cover note and resume in the body of your email response to:

Margaret Mathews-Berenson, Curator
mmbart at earhtlink.net

Robin Russin

Associate Professor and Director
MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto