[CW-Grad] Glimmer Train - Bulletin 44

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Wed Sep 1 07:14:47 PDT 2010

FYI

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Glimmer Train" <noreply at mail.glimmertrainpress.com>
Date: September 1, 2010 2:50:17 AM MDT
To: "readers and writers" <MFAadvising at ucr.edu>
Subject: Glimmer Train - Bulletin 44

September 1, 2010
Dear readers and writers,

Upcoming deadline:
 	 The September Fiction Open closes September 30. We welcome yours. See guidelines.

 	 Open to ALL writers. First place has gone to beginners with no previous publications and to accomplished, established writers. All are welcome. Word count range: 2,000 – 20,000. (Yes, a 2,000 word piece can compete against a 20,000 word piece—it's the story that counts.)

 	 First place wins $2,000 and publication in Issue 81 of Glimmer Train Stories. Second- and third-place winners receive $1,000/$600 (or if chosen for publication, $700).

 	 Note from the editors on the Fiction Open.

Essays in this bulletin:
	 Nona Caspers: A few more hours after reading the story I realized that I could stop some of my anxiety by telling myself the event did not happen. I could say, this story is not real, this did not happen, though of course I knew in another part of me that things like that do happen… (more)
	 Ron Savage: I am fairly cynical about How-To anything and especially How-To things that have to do with writing. I would say write every day and read every day. Read the things you like and write the things you like. But if you are a writer you are doing that already. (more)
	 Patrick Hicks: My family also helped me to understand how seriously Colin took his
job. The respect he had for the dead—how he never forgot that families were grieving, and how he conducted his job as though it were an act of love—now that, that, was important to write about. (more)

Results of the June Fiction Open:
Winners and finalists have been notified, and the Top-25 list is posted! Our thanks to all of you for letting us read your stories!
	 1st place: "Ants" by Nona Caspers
 	 2nd place: "Insurance" by James F. Sidel
	 3rd place: "Grateful, Somewhere" by S. Ruth Joffre

Feel free to forward this bulletin to your writer friends. As you know, the bulletin is free and meant to inform and to promote writers. (We never share your info.) People can sign up for bulletins themselves here. Missed a bulletin? They're all archived here.

Looking forward,

Sisters and Editors
Glimmer Train Stories, represented in recent editions of the Pushcart Prize,O. Henry, New Stories
from the South, New Stories from the Midwest, and Best American Short Stories anthologies.

	Please note that we never share your contact information.

Questions? Please check our straightforward FAQs; if the answer isn't there: editors at glimmertrain.org.

You are subscribed as MFAadvising at ucr.edu

Robin Russin

Associate Professor, Department of Theatre
Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto