[CW-Grad] Fwd: A Letter from Ecotone

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Tue Oct 19 20:10:28 PDT 2010

Check this out-- from Prof. Lutz:

Begin forwarded message:

From: <tomlutz at ucr.edu>
Date: October 19, 2010 7:58:57 PM PDT
To: robin.russin at ucr.edu
Subject: Fwd: A Letter from Ecotone

From: Joanna Mulder <joanna at ecotonejournal.com>
Date: September 14, 2010 10:34:34 AM PDT
To: tom.lutz at ucr.edu
Subject: A Letter from Ecotone

Dear Tom Lutz,

I am writing on behalf of Ecotone, a semiannual literary magazine founded in 2005 and published by UNC Wilmington. An ecotone is a transition zone between two adjacent ecological communities, containing the characteristic species of each, and we interpret the term metaphorically, as a place of danger or opportunity, a testing ground. Each issue of Ecotone brings together the literary and scientific, the personal and biological, the urban and rural. Much of the writing we publish addresses the idea of place—overlapping habitats both real and aesthetic. We aim to bridge the gap between science and culture, to break out of the pen of the purely literary and wander freely among the disciplines.

Since 2006 Ecotone is the only publication in the country to have had its work reprinted in Best American Short Stories, Best American Poetry, Best American Essays, Best American Science and Nature Writing, and The Pushcart Prize. What’s more, we just learned that two stories from our spring issue have won the O. Henry Prize and will be included in next year’s volume. In our pages readers can discover why Ecotone was a finalist for an Utne Independent Press Award last year. Recent issues have featured the work of Denis Johnson, Marisa Silver, Sherman Alexie, Rick Bass, and many more. The forthcoming fall issue includes new writing from Annie Proulx, Nick Flynn, and Ron Rash, among others.

We believe it’s important for our writers of the future, as well as current established writers, to witness one place where some of today’s best fiction, literary nonfiction, and poetry are being forged. Toward that end, this fall we are offering MFA programs a chance to purchase Ecotone subscriptions for their students and/or faculty members in bulk at major discount rates.

Our standard subscription rate is $16.95 for one year (two issues). The bulk discounts we’re offering MFA programs will include 12 subscriptions for $125, a savings of 38%; 25 subscriptions for $225, a savings of 47%; or 50 subscriptions for $395, a savings of 53%. (And this last price would in fact be a savings of 64% off the cover price of $10.95 per issue.)

In addition to this significant discount, we will include a free half-page advertisement for your MFA program in the next issue of Ecotone with the purchase of 25 subscriptions, and a free full-page ad with the purchase of 50 subscriptions.

Because we believe it’s so important for apprentice writers to have access to some of the best of today’s current literature, we’re also offering substantial classroom discounts to teachers who use Ecotone as part of a course. We’ll include free desk copies for these instructors, and will allow each student in the course to subscribe to Ecotone at a rate of $12.95, nearly 25% off. In addition, for those teachers who would find it valuable, Ben George, the editor of Ecotone, would be happy to engage in a conference call with your students to entertain questions they might have about the editing and publishing process.

Salman Rushdie recently named Ecotone as one of a handful of literary magazines on which “the health of the American short story depends.” A brief look at the history of some of this country’s most important literature of the past century shows that a sizable portion of it was first published in small but essential magazines like Ecotone. For a sneak preview, we’ve attached two files. One is a recent cover, and the other is a copy of the masterly O. Henry Prize–winning story “The Junction” by the incomparable David Means. We hope you and your program will join our community of readers.

Sincerely,

Joanna Mulder

--
Joanna Mulder
Ecotone Managing Editor

Robin Russin

Associate Professor, Department of Theatre
Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto