[CW-Grad] Science Fiction, the Predictor: Afternoons in Special Collections & Archives

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Mon Oct 18 14:48:23 PDT 2010

FYI

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Sarah Allison" <saraha at ucr.edu>
Date: October 18, 2010 2:43:29 PM PDT
To: <saraha at ucr.edu>
Subject: Afternoons in Special Collections & Archives

Professor Bob Heath will be speaking about exploring ways in which     scientific concepts and inventive technology interact with fundamental areas of human cultural development, such as ethics and politics.    Science fiction can be thought of as the “workshop” in which new ways of seeing the physical and biological world are studied in terms of their impact on human beings and institutions.

 Bob Heath, native Californian, possesses a B.S. in Physics from Cal Tech, an M.S. in Physics from the University of Michigan, and a Ph.D. in Biophysics from UC Berkeley.  He came to UCR in 1969, after a post-doctoral period at   Brookhaven National Laboratories on Long Island, NY, studying the fundamentals of photosynthesis. He retired in 2007 but is still writing about and teaching in biochemistry.

Robin Russin

Associate Professor, Department of Theatre
Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto