[CW-Grad] Potential Course Offering: Acting for Writers

Marcus Renner mrenn001 at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 10 13:42:52 PST 2010

Hello everyone,

Professor Eric Barr would like to offer the course "Acting for Writers" next
year ('11-'12), but he needs a group of students who are interested in
taking it in order make the case to the administration that it should be on
the books. I would love to take this course and so I offered to send out an
email to field interest. Here is the description from the General Catalog.

THEA 214. Acting for Writers (4) Lecture, 2 hours; dis-
cussion, 2 hours; outside research, 2 hours.
Prerequisite(s): THEA 264 or THEA 266. Examines
the theory and practice of acting to enable writers to
better understand how language reflects character, as
well as  how actors turn the written word into spoken
language.  Includes text work and improvisation.
Credit is awarded for only one of THEA 114 or THEA
214.

I believe THEA 264 and 266 are the playwriting and screenwriting workshops.
I can't speak for Professor Barr, but I'm sure accomodations could be made
if you don't have these prerequisites. THEA114, which is a lower-level
version of the same course, has undergraduate creative writing courses as a
prerequisite. With a small group, I think this course could be personalized
to really fit the interests of the students.

No, commitments necessary. Just reply to me (not the whole list) if you're
interested.

Thanks,

Marcus Renner
First-year MFA