[CW-Grad] Some info from online publisher Foundpress.com

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Mon Jun 21 01:00:37 PDT 2010

Hi guys--

One of you (Eric Shonkwiler?) passed along some info about this new online journal. I decided to ask them a few questions, and so I'm passing along the answers I received for those of you who might be interested in exploring this potential opportunity. As always, I recommend that you do your own "due diligence" before submitting here, or anywhere else that you don't really know about.

Have a great summer, keep writing every day, and for those who've graduated, congratulations and stay in touch (especially remember to send in all successes, publications, productions, job news etc to Adrienne so she can include it on our website and newsletter)!

Robin

>From Foundpress:

1) For each accepted story, we offer a (negotiable) advance comparable to the average rates of most independent literary journals. We also offer royalties on all sales of said story, whether it was purchased with the rest of the quarterly issue or as an individual unit.

2) As we will be distributing through online ebook stores, all of which will be providing detailed sales data for our titles, it would be relatively easy to calculate royalties for our contributors.

3) Though our published materials will be available for purchase through ebook online stores, and though we will attempt to negotiate promotional partnerships with the various sites, the vast majority of our publicity will be done on our website, through online social networking, and by contacting as many book/reading-related media outlets as will take notice of us. For all intents and purposes, our publicity strategy will be similar to that of a small press publisher - albeit with a bit more appeal since what we're doing is so, dare I say, interesting.

4) The stories will be released and promoted not just as parts of each quarterly issue, but also as individual units. The system is modelled after iTunes in that respect. Consider our issues "albums" and our stories "singles" off each album. While we would like to sell the whole "album", we believe that there readers who are only interested in one of the stories in the issue should be forced to purchase content they don't want. We have faith enough in the strength of our acquisition and editorial that such readers will eventually choose to read (and purchase) even more later on - something that wouldn't take place if we didn't give them the option of purchasing a single story in the first place.

I hope I have answered your questions thus far. Please let me know if you have any more queries, or comments, or suggestions! We'd love to hear from your students as well.

Best,
Bryan Ibeas
Found Press

bibeas at foundpress.com

Robin Russin

Associate Professor & Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu